Can PDEs be solved using ODEs in quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between the Schrodinger equation in Quantum Mechanics and the evolution equation in Classical Mechanics. It is shown that both equations involve an element that evolves and is an element of a space of functions. The conversation also delves into how the equations can be represented in different bases and the use of Hamiltonians in finding the evolution of the initial state. The possibility of finding a vector field that generates the flow in Quantum Mechanics is also discussed. Ultimately, it is noted that while a similar approach can be taken in Classical Mechanics, it may not be applicable in all cases in Quantum Mechanics.
giova7_89
Here's my question: as soon as I learned Quantum Mechanics and Schrodinger equation, I saw a "similarity" with the equation one gets in classical mechanics for the evolution of a function in phase space. In QM one has:

[itex]

i\hbar\frac{d}{dt}\psi = \hat{H}\psi

[/itex]

and this is a evolution equation where [itex] \psi [/itex] is the element which evolves and it is an element of a space of functions.

If one represents this equation (considering one spinless particle) in the [itex] |\vec{x}> [/itex] basis, one gets the wave equation that everyone knows, where the hamiltonian on this basis acts on the state ket as

[itex]

-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2 + U(\vec{x})

[/itex]

does.

In CM one has:

[itex]

\frac{d}{dt}f = \hat{L}f

[/itex]

where f is the element that evolves and it is an element of a space on functions, too. (here I assumed that the functions I want to evolve from time t0 to time t do not depend on t0 explicitly, otherwise I should have added [itex] \partial_t f [/itex] to that equation)

If one represents that equation in the [itex] |\vec{q},\vec{p}> [/itex] basis one gets:

[itex]

\frac{d}{dt}f (\vec{q},\vec{p}) = \{f(\vec{q},\vec{p}),H(\vec{q},\vec{p})\}

[/itex]

and if I solve Hamilton equations and get the hamiltonian flow [itex] \Phi^H_{(t,t_0)} [/itex], I know that the solution to the equation with initial condition f0 is:

[itex]

(e^{\hat{L}\Delta t}[f])(\vec{q},\vec{p}) = f(\Phi^H_{(t,t_0)}(\vec{q},\vec{p}))

[/itex]

(I assumed that H does not depend on time).

Then my question is: in CM i can solve the evolution equation for f (a PDE) by solving ODEs. Can a similar thing be done in QM with Schrodinger equation? Is there any vector field [itex] \vec{X} [/itex] whose associated flow (which i can find by solving [itex] \frac{d}{dt}\vec{x} = \vec{X} [/itex]) one can use to evolve the initial state ket of QM?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the Hamiltonian does not depend on time, one can write the solution formally as

[tex]\lvert \psi (t) \rangle = e^{\frac{\Delta t}{i \hbar} \hat H} \lvert \psi (0) \rangle[/tex]
I think it's correct to say this is some kind of flow on state space. Typically, the flow will be unitary; i.e. preserves inner products.

If the Hamiltonian does depend on time, then the time evolution operator will be a "path ordered exponential"

[tex]\mathcal P \exp \int_0^t \hat H(t') dt'[/tex]

But how can I find the vector field that generates this flow? I tried (naively) to get the three "equations of motion" by chosing as [itex] \psi(x,y,z) [/itex] the functions [itex] \psi(x,y,z) = x [/itex] , [itex] \psi(x,y,z) = y [/itex] , [itex] \psi(x,y,z) = z [/itex]. By doing this I got that:

[itex]

\frac{d}{dt}\vec{r} = \frac{1}{i\hbar}U(\vec{r})\vec{r}

[/itex]

I tried to solve this in some simple cases but I got no agreement with the actual solution one obtains by using the quantum evolution operator [itex] \hat{U}_ {t,t_0} = e^{\frac{\hat{H}\Delta t}{i\hbar}}[/itex]

Does anybody know anything else about this?

The state is a vector in an infinite-dimensional Hilbert space; not a vector in R^3.

I know.. But in classical mechanics an observable is an element of a infinite dimensional space too! The space of functions of position and momentum. Maybe I didn't made myself clear enough in my last post: from what i understood about CM and its equations, one can find the hamiltonian flow by solving ODEs and plug it in the initial "phase function" f0 once it has been represented in [itex] |\vec{q},\vec{p}> [/itex] to get the "phase function " at time t and solve equations which involve the liouville operator.

This way one solves the equation

[itex]

\frac{d}{dt}f = \hat{L}f

[/itex]

where [itex] \hat{L} [/itex] is the Liouville operator

Representing functions of [itex] |\vec{q},\vec{p}>[/itex] is similar as representing quantum states in the [itex] |\vec{x}>[/itex] basis!

I wanted to know if a similar procedure can be obtained for the schrodinger equation (and, in general, for other kinds of "initial value PDEs"). I mean: is there an equation

[itex]

\frac{d}{dt}\vec{x} = \vec{X}(\vec{x})

[/itex]

which once solved gives

[itex]

\vec{x}(t)

[/itex]

such that

[itex]

(\hat{U}_{(t,t_0)}[\psi_{t_0}])(\vec{x}) = \psi_{t_0}(\vec{x}(t))

[/itex]
(where [itex] \hat{U}_{(t,t_0)} [/itex] is the evolution operator of QM)??

I hope I made myself clear!

PS: thanks a lot for your replies!

Last edited:
I do not think that all the Hamiltonians can accommodate your request that you can find a [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\vec{x} = \vec{X}[/itex] for each [itex]\hat{H}[/itex] .

But I'll show you a class of Hamiltonians wherewith you're able to do it, unlucky these Hamiltonians don't have a quantum physical sense, but it's stll mathematically correct.

Let's consider an Hamiltonian in the form:
[itex]\hat{H}=f_2(\hat{q_2})\hat{p_1}-f_1(\hat{q_1})\hat{p_2}[/itex].

With [itex]\left[\hat{q_i},\hat{p_i}\right]=i\hbar[/itex]
and the evolution under the well known Schrodingher equation [itex]i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\lvert\psi_t\rangle = \hat{H}\lvert\psi_t\rangle[/itex].

Now see what equation we obtain in the [itex]\lvert q_1,q_2\rangle[/itex] base:

[itex]f_2(q_2)\frac{\partial \psi_t(q_1,q_2) }{\partial q_1}-f_1(q_1)\frac{\partial \psi_t(q_1,q_2) }{\partial q_2} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi_t(q_1,q_2)[/itex]

and we can always find an H(q1,q2) that satisfies

[itex]f_1(q)=\frac{\partial H(q1,q2)}{\partial q_1}[/itex]
[itex]f_2(q)=\frac{\partial H(q1,q2)}{\partial q_2}[/itex].The first equation of psi became:

[itex]\frac{\partial H(q1,q2)}{\partial q_2}\frac{\partial \psi_t(q_1,q_2) }{\partial q_1}-\frac{\partial H(q1,q2)}{\partial q_1}\frac{\partial \psi_t(q_1,q_2) }{\partial q_2} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi_t(q_1,q_2)[/itex]

That's formally identical to the equation [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \psi= \hat{L}\psi[/itex] under this Hamiltonian flux!

Last edited:
let's take another example,this time we'll consider a well known quantum problem and it's related Hamiltonian.
Consider a quantum particle in free fall:

[itex]\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2m}\hat{p}^2+mg\hat{q}[/itex]

let's see the scrodingher equation in[itex]\lvert p \rangle[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{p^2}{2mi\hbar}\psi(p,t)-mg\frac{\partial}{\partial p}\psi(p,t)+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi(p,t) = 0[/itex]

now take this equation [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\vec{x} = \vec{X}[/itex] where [itex]\vec{x} \in R^1 [/itex] with [itex]\vec{x} = (p)[/itex]; and [itex]\vec{X}=(-mg)[/itex]

and so the schrodingher equation became

[itex]-\frac{p^2}{2mi\hbar}\psi(p,t)+\frac{d}{dt}\psi(p,t) = 0[/itex]

under the flux [itex]\frac{d}{dt}p = -mg[/itex]

as you can see, this trick is possible due to the linearity of partial derivates in the scrodingher equation.

Last edited:
Hi spocchio!

I didn't get what you were trying to say in your last post, but I tried to solve that problem.

First off I took as initial state ket the function [itex] \psi (p) = p^2 [/itex] and made it evolve: i took terms not higher than order [itex] t [/itex] and got (I set [itex] \hbar = 1 [/itex] )

[itex]

(\hat{U}_t\psi)(p) = p^2 - 2 g m p t - \frac{i t p^4}{m} + O(t^2)

[/itex]

Then I chose as initial function [itex] \phi (p) = p [/itex] and evolved it: I got [itex] p(t) [/itex] by doing so. Then i calculated [itex] \psi (p (t)) [/itex] and got

[itex]

\psi(p(t)) = p^2 - 2 g m p t - \frac{i t p^4}{2m} + O(t^2)

[/itex]

which is different from the actual solution! This means one cannot just plug the "coordinate function" (here this function is [itex] \phi (p) = p [/itex]) in the Schrodinger equation, solve the ODE that comes out and then put the solution inside the original function to get the solution to the initial value problem one he started with.

In classical mechanics, however, that works: that is the two formulas i wrote up there are equal.

Going back to your post: I don't understand the meaning of [itex] \frac{d}{dt}p = -mg [/itex] in this contest.

If I use the equation [itex] \frac{d}{dt}p = -mg [/itex] you suggested, I obtain [itex] p(t) = p -mgt [/itex] and [itex] \psi(p(t)) = (p-mgt)^2 [/itex] isn't equal to the solution to the actual Scrhodinger equation with initial ket [itex] |\psi> [/itex]...

The solution are the same under your approimation:
since [itex]\frac{d}{dt}p=-mg[/itex] you have that [itex]dp \cong dt[/itex]
and so, in an approximation of [itex]O(t^2)[/itex] to check the solution you have to discard [itex]O(p^2)[/itex]

[itex]\psi(p(t)) = p^2 - 2 g m p t - \frac{i t p^4}{2m} + O(t^2) = - 2 g m p t + O(t^2) + O(p^2) [/itex]
[itex]\psi(p(t)) = (p-mgt)^2 = -2mgpt + O(t^2) + O(p^2)[/itex]

But,ok, I agree my example have some issues, but i don't get where, if i have

[itex]-\frac{p^2}{2mi\hbar}\psi(p,t)-mg \frac{\partial}{\partial p}\psi(p,t)+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi(p,t) = 0 [/itex]

and set [itex]\dot{p}=-mg [/itex]
and ask (can't I?) [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\psi(p,t)=\dot{p} \frac{\partial}{\partial p}\psi(p,t)+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi(p,t) [/itex]

and so i obtain

[itex]-\frac{p^2}{2mi\hbar} \psi(p,t)+\dot{p} \frac{\partial}{\partial p}\psi(p,t)+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi(p,t) = 0 [/itex]

that became

[itex]-\frac{p^2}{2mi\hbar}\psi(p,t)+\frac{d}{dt}\psi(p,t) = 0 [/itex]

where is my error?

Last edited:
No the example is ok! I did something similar for the free particle.. The thing is that it doesn't answer my problem.. I am looking for a vector field whose flow I can use to solve EXACTLY a PDE evolution equation, as I can do in classical mechanics.

The main point of my last post was, in fact, that

[itex]

(\hat{U}_t\psi)(p) \neq \psi(p(t))

[/itex]

while in CM this holds true..

The equation I refer to is one of the last equations of my first post.

I was just wondering if one can do that for all evolution equations, and if so how one does that..

Last edited:

Related to Can PDEs be solved using ODEs in quantum mechanics?

1. What is the difference between a PDE and an ODE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives, while an ODE, or ordinary differential equation, only involves one independent variable and its derivatives.

2. Why is it useful to solve PDEs by means of ODEs?

Solving PDEs by means of ODEs can be useful because it can simplify the problem and make it more manageable. ODEs often have well-defined solutions and techniques for solving them, which can then be applied to the PDE.

3. How do you convert a PDE into an ODE?

There are several techniques for converting a PDE into an ODE, such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, and similarity transformations. Each method involves manipulating the PDE to transform it into an ODE that can be solved using known techniques.

4. Are there any limitations to solving PDEs by means of ODEs?

Yes, there are limitations to this approach. It may not be possible to convert certain PDEs into ODEs, or the resulting ODE may be too complex to solve. Additionally, the solution obtained from solving the ODE may not accurately represent the solution of the original PDE.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a PDE by means of an ODE?

One example is the heat equation, which is a PDE that describes the distribution of heat in a given space. By using the method of separation of variables, the heat equation can be converted into an ODE that can be solved using techniques such as integration or series expansion. The resulting solution can then be used to determine the temperature at any point in the given space.