Can Omnipotence Escape Logical Paradoxes?

• Thread starter IntellectIsStrength
  • Start date
In summary: An "omnipotent" being is still bound by some logical necessities. These binding laws, then, make an “omnipotent” being not actually omnipotent—that is, absolutely and infinitely powerful.In summary, an "omnipotent" being is not actually omnipotent because it is bound by logical necessities.
im not hot female I am hot male so no pics for you,

and if he is all powerfull then the stone theory from earlier remains valid and therefore makes hi omnipotence illogical, but still possiable

Physics news on Phys.org
the stone theory from earlier remains valid
i have failed to see this. i can accept illogical god, but i can't see how your stone theory makes his illogicalness necessary.

though, i have a better idea: if god is omnipotent, he can be logical and illogical at the same time (at will). so, if he ever choose to be like that, will the universe collapse or something?

that would make him illogical surely, if you do things which are logical and illogical then that makes you illogical doesn't it?

the universe collapsing depends on if you believe it is infinite or finite. an infinite universe can't technically collapse, so let's hope it infinite shall we

HeavenTornApart said:
that would make him illogical surely, if you do things which are logical and illogical then that makes you illogical doesn't it?
well if even it does, it's only because logic requires so, isn't it. so, if he's illogical, he has not to became illogical only because he does things that are logical and illogical. this doesn't make any sense, but only because you are trying to apply logic to it =)

ok point taken on that one let's stop trying to work out whether god himself is logical or illogical.

lets get back to the original subject the illogicallity of omni-potence.

im sure we would have to agree that omnipotence in itself can be classed as being illogical if you use the stone theory from earlier

so you're sure, arent you. well, i guess I'm happy for you.

yup I'm sure that if you apply logic to the stone theory above it will show that the omnipotence is a logical paradox.

this doesn't mean its not possiable just illogical!

I always thought the problem with the stone paradox was that it assumes in itself that God does not possesses omnipotence.

"if a god is all powerfull can he create a stone"

This part makes logical since. Can God do X

"that he himself cannot lift?"

The problem with this part of the statement is that it implies a negative, or rather the statement implies God cannot do something that God can do. its like saying:

Can a man get in a pool that he does not have the ability to swim in?

With the definition of "a man"-a person with the ability to get in any pool and has the ability to swim in any pool.

the problem is not with the man, the pool, or the ability to swim, but rather an illogical question. The question ask something contradictory to the definitions.

Last edited: