Can Nonlinear Congruences Be Solved? A Case Study with a Prime Modulus

• Thread starter joshuathefrog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nonlinear
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an integer solution for the congruence 13x = 13 mod 50032, with x > 1, where 5003 is a prime number. The participants mention using techniques such as Fermat's Little Theorem and Euler's Theorem, but are unsure of how to proceed. Eventually, it is suggested to simply multiply both sides of the equation by 13.
joshuathefrog

Homework Statement

Find an integer x that is a solution (only need one solution, not all solutions). If no solution exists, prove that no solution can exist.

13x = 13 mod 50032 , with x > 1. Note that 5003 is prime.

Here, = means "congruent to"

Homework Equations

Not sure. I can solve linear congruences without too much trouble, but I haven't seen a congruence of this form before, and the book that I'm using is pretty low on good examples.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have one. Looking for a bump in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I spent a lot of time last night trying a bunch of different techniques on your problem and couldn't get much of anywhere. But since no one else has responded to it yet I will give you what little I have, which is just Fermat's Little Theorem:

13^5003 = 13 mod 5003. But from here I don't know where to go.

I can use Euler's theorem since 13 and 50032 are coprime.

However, I then end up with: 13phi(50032) = 1 mod 50032. How can I manipulate this so that I have 13 mod 50032 instead of 1 mod 50032?

Can't you just multiply both sides by 13?

Sigh ... yes. Yes I can. I think it's time for a break, I've been staring at this for too long and I'm starting to forget about basic math.

Thanks for the wake up call!

Related to Can Nonlinear Congruences Be Solved? A Case Study with a Prime Modulus

1. What are nonlinear congruences?

Nonlinear congruences are mathematical equations that involve variables raised to powers greater than 1. They are used to represent relationships between numbers that have a common remainder when divided by a certain number.

2. How are nonlinear congruences solved?

Nonlinear congruences are solved using a variety of methods such as trial and error, substitution, and the Chinese Remainder Theorem. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable and find its value.

3. What are the applications of solving nonlinear congruences?

Solving nonlinear congruences is important in many fields such as cryptography, number theory, and computer science. It is used in encryption algorithms, generating random numbers, and solving problems related to divisibility and remainders.

4. Can nonlinear congruences have multiple solutions?

Yes, nonlinear congruences can have multiple solutions. This is because different values of the variable can satisfy the equation and result in the same remainder when divided by the given number. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

5. What are the challenges of solving nonlinear congruences?

One of the main challenges of solving nonlinear congruences is that there is no general formula or algorithm that can be applied to all equations. Each equation may require a different approach, and some equations may be extremely difficult or impossible to solve. Also, there is always a possibility of human error when using trial and error methods.