Can Magnets Be Reoriented to Confine Their Field?

In summary: It seems like the MagSwitch devices may be a solution for your device, as they are small, lightweight, easy to operate, and do not require power. However, the concept of arranging magnets to contain the magnetic field may be difficult to understand. Additionally, the orientation of the coil in the diagrams provided in the link is unclear. Any help would be appreciated.
Cbowen546
Hey everyone,

I am wondering if there is a way to orient magnets so that the field is contained.

Little background, i am trying to develop a device that can lift small Fe particles. I determined that a rare Earth magnet will do the trick but i need it to be switchable and small/lightweight. So i tried to build an electromagnet powered by 1 or 2 D-Cell batteries but can't seem to come up with anything strong enough.

I found these MagSwitch devices that are small, lightweight and are easy to operate (turn of a switch) and use NO POWER. This is interesting but i can't figure out how they do it. To use a few magnets and arrange them so that there is no field doesn't make sense to me...

Also found this link: http://www.thyssenkrupp-magnettechnik.com/pdf/stacking.pdf

But am having a hard time working out the orientation of the "coil" in each diagram. Is the coil just one large coil wrapped around the center lug in types 1, 2 and 2b? Or is it two small coils oriented with poles vertically or horizontally?

ANY help is much appreciated!

Thank you
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting, I'll have to look into this some more.

Related to Can Magnets Be Reoriented to Confine Their Field?

1. How do switchable permanent magnets work?

Switchable permanent magnets work by using a combination of permanent magnets and electromagnets. The permanent magnets provide the initial magnetic field, while the electromagnets can be turned on and off to control the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. What are the benefits of using switchable permanent magnets?

The main benefit of using switchable permanent magnets is the ability to control the magnetic field. This allows for a wide range of applications, such as in magnetic levitation, magnetic separation, and magnetic motors.

3. Can switchable permanent magnets be switched on and off multiple times?

Yes, switchable permanent magnets can be switched on and off multiple times without losing their magnetic properties. This makes them ideal for use in devices that require frequent changes in the magnetic field.

4. Are switchable permanent magnets expensive?

The cost of switchable permanent magnets can vary depending on the size and strength required. However, they are generally more expensive than traditional permanent magnets due to the addition of electromagnets.

5. What are some common applications of switchable permanent magnets?

Switchable permanent magnets have a variety of applications, including in magnetic sensors, magnetic recording devices, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics.