Can LEDs be used for power transfer in this application?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of LED lighting in a cost-sensitive instrument application involving rotating shafts. The original question was whether a solar cell could be used, but the group suggests using laser diodes and PIN photodiodes for better power transfer. The idea of using transformer coupling and the possibility of using solar cells for energy transfer is also mentioned. A potential solution involving switching capacitive load and sensing V/I phase change is proposed, and the conversation concludes with plans to try this solution and explore other options.
steveastrouk
Numbers

Having "googled" into this thread, I was hoping you could help with my own "LED lighting" question. I have a cost-sensitive instrument application where I need to supply roughly 50mW to an assembly rotating on a motor shaft, about 6mm from the nearest support.

I wondered if I could use a solar cell to do the job, but I have begun to wonder if I can get a better power transfer by using two (or more) identical LEDs, one as a transmitter, the other as a receiver. My thoughts were that the (approximately) monochromatic light sources might couple power more efficiently than by using white light sources and standard solar cells, I am replacing a very small, elegant (hideously expensive) slip ring assembly, and I have considered electromagnetic coupling, but the elegance of light power is very attractive.

Does anyone have any handle on the likely power tranfer efficiency of my proposed link, before I try and test it ? Given that red LEDs can push out 50lm/watt , and given I know I cannot expect 1/50 watts/lm, what would one expect to see ?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Engineering news on Phys.org
Steve,

You likely don't want to use two identical diodes; a laser diode would make a fine optical power source on the transmitting side, and you'd get more of that power back on the other side with, say, a PIN photodiode.

- Warren

May I ask what your application is?
How fast is your shaft rotating? How big is it? Are you doing away with your slip-ring purely because of cost?

The light-transfer idea is nice (I'm thinking of Podracers' energy beams :smile:), but I doubt you'd get anywhere near the coupling you need.

Hmm, I just realized that a 50mW laser diode would be very dangerous... maybe just stick with an LED and a light pipe. :smile:

- Warren

yes what is your rotation speed ??
and have you considered putting coils on the shaft, rotating inside a few fixed magnets?
generating your own power for this application..

willib said:
yes what is your rotation speed ??
and have you considered putting coils on the shaft, rotating inside a few fixed magnets?
generating your own power for this application..

This is what I would do. Even with a slow rotating shaft you could generate a fair amount of power with the right magnet/coil assembly.

Thanks for comments so far

Thanks for all your comments so far - maximum shaft speed is 0.3 RPM, so direct generation is not a go-er.

The trouble with laser sources is the beam is very small and that makes coupling the light to the pickups very difficult. My current thought is to use the mighty Luxeon Lumiled to power the thing, and six leds as pickups.

Anyway, I am going to do a couple of basic experiments today with some HE yellow LEDS (Toshiba S4E38XX if I remember correctly.

The rest of the rig incidentally is ticking away on the bench next to me. We are measuring capacitance of two overlapping plates, and reporting the result back.

Once again, thanks for the comments. I will report on my results later on !

Steve

Dumb idea.

Well, for future reference that was a very dumb idea. There is no power available at all. With three yellow diodes in series, there is quite respectable voltage (4V ), but the output impedance is in the order of 100s of KiloOhms.

Transformer coupling, here we come.
Still, I might burst the datastream through an optical link.

Steve

If you intend to use transformer coupling and your data rate isn't very high you can make the data link (in both directions) via the same transformer by switching capacitive load in parallel to primary or secondary winding, and sensing the V/I phase change on the other side.

What's avout the solar cell for energy transfer? Did you find somethimg suitable?

Steve,

As I said, don't use normal LEDs on the receiver. Use PIN photodiodes that are intended for the purpose.

- Warren

Thanks Warren

Thanks for the reminder Warren - I used what I had, but when I get my hands on some PIN photodiodes, I'll try again. Any suggestions for sources of 'em ?

Steve

Eli Hait said:
If you intend to use transformer coupling and your data rate isn't very high you can make the data link (in both directions) via the same transformer by switching capacitive load in parallel to primary or secondary winding, and sensing the V/I phase change on the other side.

What's avout the solar cell for energy transfer? Did you find somethimg suitable?

Now I'll have to source some PIN diodes and try again after Warren's comments. The phase sensing idea is pretty cute. I'll have to think about that too.
Thanks again
Steve

steveastrouk ,
50 mW ok .. at 4V gives 12.5 mA i think that a bright light shining on some solar cells mounted on the motor shaft should give you what you want..

Related to Can LEDs be used for power transfer in this application?

1. How does power transfer with LEDs work?

Power transfer with LEDs, also known as wireless power transfer, works through the use of electromagnetic induction. A power source, such as a charging pad, creates an oscillating magnetic field which induces a current in the receiving device, such as an LED bulb. This current is then converted into usable power to light up the LED.

2. What are the benefits of using power transfer with LEDs?

One of the main benefits of using power transfer with LEDs is convenience. It eliminates the need for cords and cables, making it easier to charge devices and reducing clutter. Additionally, it is more energy-efficient than traditional charging methods, as there is less energy lost in the transfer process.

3. Can power transfer with LEDs be used for all types of devices?

No, power transfer with LEDs is currently limited to low-power devices such as smartphones, tablets, and LED bulbs. Higher power devices, such as laptops and large appliances, require more energy and are not yet compatible with this technology.

4. Is power transfer with LEDs safe?

Yes, power transfer with LEDs is considered safe for everyday use. The electromagnetic fields used in this technology are similar to those found in everyday household appliances and are well within safety standards. However, it is important to use certified and properly designed equipment to avoid potential hazards.

5. Are there any limitations to power transfer with LEDs?

One limitation of power transfer with LEDs is its limited range. The power source and receiving device must be in close proximity for the transfer to occur, typically within a few centimeters. Additionally, obstacles such as walls or metal objects can interfere with the transfer and decrease efficiency.