Can Killer Whales Jump 15 Feet?

• Thread starter perpetual-burn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jump
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a killer whale jumping over a pier with specific measurements. The group uses formulas to calculate the maximum range and height of the whale's jump and concludes that it is indeed possible, although the exact accuracy of the calculations is not confirmed. They also ask for others to verify their findings.
perpetual-burn
Well, I'm pretty sure this is impossible. But anyone have this proven. I need to try n prove this for my class. Any help is apperaciated. By the way, killer whales top speed is 13.5 m/s, he jumps out of the water at abotu a 45 degree andgle and the pier he jumps is 15 feet high and 10 feet long.

Physics news on Phys.org
if we are just concerned with whether it is possible or not, then I would have to say that it is indeed possible, likely or not is a diferenmt story.

using the formulas:
Maximum range = (Vi^2/g)*sin(2*angle) gives us the max range of the whale, I get 18.58 meters.

Y position = tan(angle)X - (g*vi)/((2(Vi*sin(angle)))^2) gives us the height (Y) at a given position X, well if we assume the whale time the jump perfectly so that the maximum height will occur at the center of the pier, then that mean that the max height would be at about 9.29 meters from where the whale originally jumps, with a height of 9.04 meter (about 30 feet). and then will land another 9.29 meters from the center of pier.

I didnt spen too much time checking all my calculations and the numbers I used in them, but I am fairly confident in my answer of yes, the whale, could make the jump.

does anyone want to back me up on this, disagree with me, or will we just assume that I am right?

Related to Can Killer Whales Jump 15 Feet?

What are killer whales?

Killer whales, also known as orcas, are a species of marine mammal that can be found in all of the world's oceans. They are the largest member of the dolphin family and are known for their distinctive black and white coloring.

How high can killer whales jump?

Killer whales are known for their impressive jumping abilities. They can jump as high as 15 feet out of the water, which is about the height of a two-story building!

Why do killer whales jump?

Scientists believe that killer whales jump for a variety of reasons. They may do so to communicate with other whales, to play, or to catch prey. It is also possible that they jump simply for the joy of it!

Can all killer whales jump 15 feet?

While killer whales are known to jump up to 15 feet, not all individuals may be capable of reaching this height. Factors such as age, size, and physical condition may affect their jumping abilities.

What is the purpose of studying killer whale jumps?

Studying killer whale jumps can provide valuable information about their behavior and communication. It can also help researchers better understand how these animals interact with their environment and other species. Additionally, studying their jumps can aid in conservation efforts and ensure the protection of these magnificent creatures.