Can k[x1,...,xn] be Isomorphically Mapped to k[x1]⊗k⋯⊗k[xn]?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the tensor product of polynomial rings is a construction that combines multiple polynomial rings into one larger ring. It allows for isomorphic mapping between polynomial rings and has applications in algebraic geometry, representation theory, and number theory. However, there are restrictions on the types of fields that can be used, such as being commutative and having characteristic 0.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $k$ be a field, and $x_1,\ldots, x_n$ indeterminates. Show that there is an isomorphism

$$k[x_1,\ldots, x_n] \approx k[x_1]\otimes_k \cdots \otimes_k k[x_n].$$
-----Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

There is a $k$-multilinear map $\Phi : k[x_1]\times \cdots \times k[x_n] \to k[x_1,\ldots, x_n]$ given by $\Phi(f_1(x_1),\ldots, f_n(x_n)) = f_1(x_1)\cdots f_n(x_n)$. So $\Phi$ induces a $k$-linear map $F : k[x_1]\otimes_R \cdots \otimes_R k[x_n]$ such that $F(f_1(x_1)\otimes\cdots \otimes f_n(x_n)) = f_1(x_1)\cdots f_n(x_n)$. The map $G : k[x_1,\ldots, x_n] \to k[x_1]\otimes_k \cdots \otimes_k k[x_n]$ be defined by setting

$$G(\sum_{i_1,\ldots i_n} a_{i_1,\ldots, i_n}x_1^{i_1}\cdots x_n^{i_n}) = \sum_{i_1,\ldots, i_n} a_{i_1,\ldots, i_n} x_1^{i_1}\otimes \cdots \otimes x_n^{i_n}.$$

Then $GF$ is the identity on $k[x_1]\otimes_k \cdots \otimes_k k[x_n]$ and $FG$ is the identity on $k[x_1,\ldots, x_n]$. So $F$ is invertible, and hence $F$ is an isomorphism.

In general, if $R$ is a commutative ring, then there is an $R$-algebra isomorphism of $R[x_1,\ldots, x_n]$ onto $R[x_1]\otimes_R \cdots \otimes_R R[x_n]$.

Related to Can k[x1,...,xn] be Isomorphically Mapped to k[x1]⊗k⋯⊗k[xn]?

1. Can k[x1,...,xn] be isomorphically mapped to k[x1]⊗k⋯⊗k[xn]?

Yes, it is possible for k[x1,...,xn] to be isomorphically mapped to k[x1]⊗k⋯⊗k[xn]. This is known as the tensor product of polynomial rings.

2. What is the definition of a tensor product of polynomial rings?

The tensor product of polynomial rings is a construction that combines multiple polynomial rings into one larger ring. It is denoted by ⊗ and can be thought of as a way to create polynomials in multiple variables by combining polynomials in individual variables.

3. How does the tensor product of polynomial rings differ from the direct product of polynomial rings?

The direct product of polynomial rings, denoted by ×, combines multiple polynomial rings into a larger ring without any additional structure. The tensor product, on the other hand, includes additional structure that allows for polynomial rings to be isomorphically mapped to one another.

4. What are some applications of the tensor product of polynomial rings?

The tensor product of polynomial rings has applications in algebraic geometry, representation theory, and number theory. It is also used in the study of algebraic varieties and schemes, as well as in constructions of algebraic objects such as Hopf algebras and group schemes.

5. Are there any restrictions on the types of fields that can be used in the tensor product of polynomial rings?

Yes, in order for the tensor product of polynomial rings to be well-defined, the fields used must be commutative and have characteristic 0. This means that the field cannot have a finite number of elements. Additionally, the fields must be infinite or algebraically closed.