Can Joining the Navy Propel My Aerospace Career Without Combat?

• Thread starter Dennis N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, the individual is a pre-engineering major with a focus in mechanical engineering and plans to pursue a Master's degree in aerospace engineering in Las Vegas, NV. They are currently working full time and considering a propulsion engineering program through the U.S. Navy that offers a paid education and Master's degree. However, they are concerned about being involved in military conflicts and unsure about the relevance of the program to their desired career in spacecraft engineering. The program requires a term of active duty following completion of studies, which may not align with the individual's values.
Dennis N
Hello, I just started my first semester as a pre-engineering major with a focus in mechanical engineering and hopes of going into an aerospace masters program in Las Vegas, NV. I'm 26 and work full time at a property on the Strip making decent income. My department will be going away soon (within a year) and I was wondering if I could get some advice. I found a flyer at UNLV for propulsion engineering through the U.S. Navy stating that I will get paid while going to school as well as a Master's degree of my choice.

image.jpg

My concern is that I do not want to go to war or be involved in any military conflicts. Has anyone gone through a program similar to this? What are your thoughts? Any recommendations? I would eventually like to work on spacecraft for an Aerospace company such as SpaceX or maybe even NASA. However, I do not have any connections in this field of work.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to work on spacecraft , then why are you signing up for a naval nuclear propulsion program? This program takes applicants who are interested in studying nuclear reactors used to drive submarines and aircraft carriers, so there's not going to be a lot of carryover to spacecraft , unless you think nuclear-powered spacecraft are just around the corner.

And yes, just like the song says, you'll be in the Navy while you study, and there will be a term of active duty commitment following the completion of your studies. If you don't want to take the King's shilling, keep walking.

Dennis N said:
My concern is that I do not want to go to war or be involved in any military conflicts.

If you join the navy you are committing to a term of service and freely volunteering to take up arms against another country or group of people if called to do so by your government. If you're not willing to do that, this is a not a deal for you.

I see, then am I on the right path on focusing on getting the degree or should I be doing something on top of that as well?

Dennis N said:
My concern is that I do not want to go to war or be involved in any military conflicts

Then you shouldn't join the Navy. That's the Navy's job.

Related to Can Joining the Navy Propel My Aerospace Career Without Combat?

What should a new student prioritize when starting their academic journey?

A new student should prioritize their time management, study habits, and building relationships with professors and peers.

What resources are available for new students to navigate their academic careers?

New students can take advantage of academic advisors, tutoring services, and study groups to help them navigate their academic careers.

How can a new student balance academics with extracurricular activities?

A new student can balance academics with extracurricular activities by creating a schedule and prioritizing their time. It is important to also make time for self-care and rest.

What are some tips for success in a particular field of study?

Some tips for success in a particular field of study include staying organized, actively participating in class, seeking help when needed, and staying updated on current research and industry trends.

What can a new student do to make the most out of their college experience?

To make the most out of their college experience, a new student can get involved in campus organizations, seek out internships or research opportunities, and take advantage of networking opportunities with alumni and professionals in their field.