Can Increasing Helium Density Affect Payload in Space?

In summary, the conversation discusses Archimedes' principle and its application to a question about a spherical object in water. It is stated that Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced. The conversation also touches on the density of helium and its effect on buoyancy. There is a discussion of the equations involved in solving the problem and a suggestion to check the textbook for more information. The final summary includes a calculation of the maximum weight that can be loaded on the object based on the buoyant force and weight force. The conversation also mentions the possibility of posting more questions.
MrInventive
New poster has been reminded to show the Relevant Equations and their work on the solution.
Homework Statement
A spherical balloon has a radius of 7.15 m and is filled with helium. How large a cargo can it lift, assuming that the skin and structure of the balloon have a mass of 930 kg? Neglect the buoyant force on the cargo volume itself.
Relevant Equations
p =m/v density
P = F/A
F = ma
I don't even know where to start...
could you please show me step by step

Likes Marco Noguez
Physics news on Phys.org
What does Archimedes' principle state?

It's customary that you show an attempt before any more help can be given.

Let me give you some hint. Air will act as a fluid, you don’t have to neglect the effect of air as we normally do in mechanics problem.

Can you solve this question: A spherical body of radius ##7.15~m## and mass ##930 ~kg## is in equilibrium inside the water. What are the forces acting on the sphere?

Likes Marco Noguez
The Atmosphere and gravity because of the mass of both the fluid and the balloon

etotheipi said:
What does Archimedes' principle state?

It's customary that you show an attempt before any more help can be given.

Hello Sorry for the late delay...I lost the website. here's my work

Attachments

• 04-24-2020-16.32.29.pdf
    385.3 KB · Views: 102
MrInventive said:
Ok, that's a diagram, but please state Archimedes' principle.

If an any object is in a fluid (or partially )... there is a buoyant force that will push it...this force is equal to the amount of that liquid displaced.

MrInventive said:
this force is equal to the amount of that liquid displaced.

What do you mean by amount?

MrInventive said:
If an any object is in a fluid (or partially )... there is a buoyant force that will push it...this force is equal to the amount of that liquid displaced.
It is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced.
Ok, so what fluid is being displaced by the balloon and what is its weight?

well I guess its in air so...that's about it. its density is 1.29 kg/m^3

weight is m*g
m = pV...i get lost here

MrInventive said:
well I guess its in air so...that's about it. its density is 1.29 kg/m^3

weight is m*g
m = pV...i get lost here
You seem to have all the pieces. You know the volume of air displaced, its density, and the equations leading to its weight. Just put it all together.

Likes MrInventive
MrInventive said:
Be careful about helium's density and its units. I would advise you to check on your textbook about both density and Archimedes principle concepts.

haruspex said:
You seem to have all the pieces. You know the volume of air displaced, its density, and the equations leading to its weight. Just put it all together.
ok...i'll try

Marco Noguez said:
Be careful about helium's density and its units. I would advise you to check on your textbook about both density and Archimedes principle concepts.
Thank you...i'll look at that

MrInventive said:
ok...i'll try
haruspex said:
I hope this is adequate... I have more questions by the way. Is it OK if i post them?

Attachments

• 04-24-2020-17.37.21.pdf
    441.8 KB · Views: 128
hy.
buoyancy force = air dencity*spher volum*gravity const=1.15*1530*9.8=15000 n
weight force= m*9.8 = 930*9.8=9115 n
helume wight - neglebl
max weight can be load= (15000-9115)/9.8=600 kg

MrInventive said:
I hope this is adequate... I have more questions by the way. Is it OK if i post them?
You have a sign error. It should be obvious that increasing the density of helium will not result in a greater payload.
In addition, you seem to have a numerical error somewhere in the final step, but I cannot tell where it is.

Related to Can Increasing Helium Density Affect Payload in Space?

What is density?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of a substance. It is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume.

How does pressure relate to density?

Pressure is the force exerted on a surface per unit area. Density plays a role in pressure because objects with higher density have more mass and therefore exert a greater force on a surface, resulting in higher pressure.

What factors affect density?

The two main factors that affect density are the mass and volume of a substance. Increasing the mass or decreasing the volume will result in a higher density, and vice versa.

What is the relationship between density and gravity?

Density and gravity are indirectly related. Objects with higher density have more mass, which means they have a greater gravitational pull. However, the force of gravity also depends on the distance between two objects, so density alone does not determine the strength of gravity.

How does density affect the behavior of fluids?

Density plays a major role in the behavior of fluids. Fluids with higher density are more resistant to changes in pressure and are therefore more difficult to compress. This is why liquids are generally more difficult to compress than gases, as they have a higher density.