Can I Use a Non-Symmetrical Matrix in Simulink for My 2 DOF Vibration System?

In summary, the individual is having trouble creating a working schematic bloc in Simulink for a system with equations Ktrain = Ka and Ctrain = Ca. They are aware that their matrix should be symmetrical, but due to Y(S) they are unsure if it is acceptable to proceed with a non-symmetrical matrix. They are also struggling with using CaS+Ka in Simulink and have attempted to multiply two blocks, but are getting infinite results due to a negative return block.
Karimh

Homework Statement

I have the following system, I believe I've correctly established the equations. I'm having trouble building a working schematic bloc in Simulink.
upload_2017-6-8_2-0-17.png

Homework Equations

upload_2017-6-8_2-7-5.png

The Attempt at a Solution

In the following equations Ktrain = Ka and Ctrain = Ca

upload_2017-6-8_2-5-17.png

I know my matrix should be symmetrical but isn't because of Y(S), is it okay to proceed in this fashion when the situation requires it?

The resulting schematic bloc
upload_2017-6-8_2-7-49.png

I don't know how to use CaS+Ka in simulink so I attempted to simply multiply the 1st and second bloc. The result always end up being infinite to any input of Y(S)

Physics news on Phys.org
Silly mistake the return block shouldn't have been negative

Related to Can I Use a Non-Symmetrical Matrix in Simulink for My 2 DOF Vibration System?

What is a 2 DOF vibrations system?

A 2 DOF (degrees of freedom) vibrations system refers to a system with two independent variables that can vibrate or oscillate. In other words, it has two modes of motion that are not dependent on each other.

What are the components of a 2 DOF vibrations system?

The components of a 2 DOF vibrations system typically include two masses, two springs, and two dampers. The masses represent the objects that are vibrating, the springs provide the restoring force, and the dampers dissipate energy to reduce the amplitude of the vibrations.

How is the natural frequency of a 2 DOF vibrations system calculated?

The natural frequency of a 2 DOF vibrations system can be calculated using the equation: f = (1/2π)√(k/m), where f is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the vibrating object.

What is the importance of understanding 2 DOF vibrations systems?

Understanding 2 DOF vibrations systems is crucial for designing and analyzing mechanical systems, such as machines, buildings, and bridges. It helps to predict and prevent potential failures due to vibrations, which can cause damage and reduce the lifespan of these structures.

What are some real-life examples of 2 DOF vibrations systems?

Some real-life examples of 2 DOF vibrations systems include a car suspension system, a pendulum clock, and a guitar string. In each of these examples, there are two independent modes of motion that contribute to the overall vibrations of the system.