Entropy in system of non-degenerate atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the entropy of a system of non-degenerate multi-level atoms that are all in their lowest energy state. The equations S = kbTln(Ω), S = Q/T, and dU = TdS - pdV are mentioned in relation to this calculation. It is determined that Ω is equal to 1 and that temperature can be identified by ##1/T = \Delta S/ \Delta E##.
vodkasoup
Hi all,

1. Homework Statement

A system of non-degenerate multi-level atoms are all in their lowest energy state. Calculate the entropy of the system.

Homework Equations

S = kbTln(Ω)

S = Q / T

dU = TdS - pdV

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to proceed. I know that Ω is the degeneracy function. If all of the atoms in the system are non-degenerate and in their lowest energy level, does this value equal 1 ? If the atoms are in their lowest energy state, what does this say about the temperature?

Many thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
vodkasoup said:
I'm not sure how to proceed. I know that Ω is the degeneracy function. If all of the atoms in the system are non-degenerate and in their lowest energy level, does this value equal 1 ? If the atoms are in their lowest energy state, what does this say about the temperature?

Many thanks for your help.
Indeed Ω = 1. This is enough to calculate the entropy. Temperature is often identified by ##1/T = \Delta S/ \Delta E##, so I suppose we could attempt to calculate it this way but it might be more work.

Last edited:

Related to Entropy in system of non-degenerate atoms

What is entropy in a system of non-degenerate atoms?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In a system of non-degenerate atoms, entropy refers to the number of ways the atoms can be arranged without changing the overall energy of the system.

How does entropy affect the behavior of a system of non-degenerate atoms?

As the entropy of a system increases, the atoms become more disordered and have a higher degree of freedom. This can lead to changes in the physical properties and behavior of the system, such as phase transitions or chemical reactions.

What factors can influence the entropy of a system of non-degenerate atoms?

The entropy of a system can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the number of particles present. Increasing the temperature or pressure can increase the entropy, while decreasing the number of particles can decrease the entropy.

How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. In a system of non-degenerate atoms, this means that the number of possible arrangements of atoms will tend to increase, and the system will become more disordered as time goes on.

Can entropy be reversed in a system of non-degenerate atoms?

In theory, it is possible to decrease the entropy of a system of non-degenerate atoms by arranging the atoms in a highly ordered state. However, this would require a significant amount of energy and is not feasible in most cases. Therefore, in practical terms, entropy is considered irreversible in a system of non-degenerate atoms.