Can I Take Probability and Mathematical Intro to Options Concurrently?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of a mathematical finance class and its prerequisites, including probability and stochastic calculus. It is possible to study the subject without a background in economics, but a basic understanding of probability is necessary. The professor advises against taking the class and probability concurrently. The mathematical concepts underlying the Black-Scholes formula may not be covered in the class, but a higher level of knowledge in probability and analysis may be required.
Shackleford
What is this class like? Is it very hard? I took an intermediate macroeconomic theory course a couple of semesters ago. One of the prerequisites for this class is Probability. I will be taking that next semester. I wonder if I could take these two classes concurrently.

Cr. 3. (3-0). Prerequisites: MATH 2433 and MATH 3338. Arbitrage-free pricing, stock price dynamics, call-put parity, Black-Scholes formula, hedging, pricing of European and American options.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can study mathematical finance without knowing any economics. Arbitrage pricing is easy conceptually, Black-Scholes is built on arbitrage free and assumptions of asset price fluctuation statistic. You would see Brownian motion and Ito's lemma which is part of stochastic calculus (hence the prerequisites for probability). You are also likely to encounter things like Martingale, sigma algebra, etc., it would be very confusing if you don't have any exposure to concepts in stochastic calculus. Note that even a first course in probability would likely not cover stochastic processes, so I am not sure how the teacher is going to teach this class with just assuming basic knowledge of probability, maybe he/she will cover the needed background in stochastic calculus when it comes up. The best way of course is to ask your teacher what level of knowledge in probability is assumed.

chingkui said:
You can study mathematical finance without knowing any economics. Arbitrage pricing is easy conceptually, Black-Scholes is built on arbitrage free and assumptions of asset price fluctuation statistic. You would see Brownian motion and Ito's lemma which is part of stochastic calculus (hence the prerequisites for probability). You are also likely to encounter things like Martingale, sigma algebra, etc., it would be very confusing if you don't have any exposure to concepts in stochastic calculus. Note that even a first course in probability would likely not cover stochastic processes, so I am not sure how the teacher is going to teach this class with just assuming basic knowledge of probability, maybe he/she will cover the needed background in stochastic calculus when it comes up. The best way of course is to ask your teacher what level of knowledge in probability is assumed.

I emailed the professor and asked if it is possible to take this class and Probability concurrently. He said, "I'd advise against it."

Most likely it won't require most of the math chingkui mentioned. For instance, you can use the Black Scholes formula to price options without understanding the all the mathematical machinery underneath it, which as chingkui hinted at, would probably require a course in stochastic calculus, as well as analysis at the upper undergraduate or graduate level.

And yeah intermediate macro will likely have absolutely no similarities to intro to options (ignoring basic stuff like working with interest).

The Mathematical Intro to Options class is designed to provide students with a theoretical and mathematical understanding of options pricing and hedging. It is a rigorous course that requires a strong foundation in probability and mathematical analysis, as seen in the prerequisites. While it may be challenging, it is a valuable class for those interested in finance and economics. I encourage you to take both Probability and Mathematical Intro to Options concurrently if you feel confident in your mathematical skills and are able to manage the workload. However, it is always best to consult with your academic advisor before taking on a heavy course load to ensure you can effectively balance your studies. Good luck with your future studies!

Related to Can I Take Probability and Mathematical Intro to Options Concurrently?

Q1: What is the purpose of a mathematical introduction to options?

A mathematical introduction to options is designed to provide a rigorous and quantitative understanding of the concepts and principles underlying options trading. It involves using mathematical models and formulas to analyze and value options, as well as to make informed decisions about buying and selling them.

Q2: What are the key mathematical concepts used in options trading?

The key mathematical concepts used in options trading include probability, statistics, calculus, and differential equations. These concepts are used to develop models such as the Black-Scholes model, which is widely used to price options.

Q3: How does the Black-Scholes model work?

The Black-Scholes model is a mathematical formula that calculates the theoretical value of an option. It takes into account factors such as the current stock price, strike price, time to expiration, interest rates, and volatility to determine the fair price of an option.

Q4: What is the difference between a call option and a put option?

A call option gives the buyer the right, but not the obligation, to buy an underlying asset at a predetermined price (strike price) on or before a specific date (expiration date). A put option, on the other hand, gives the buyer the right, but not the obligation, to sell an underlying asset at a predetermined price on or before the expiration date.

Q5: How can mathematical analysis help with options trading?

Mathematical analysis can help options traders make informed decisions about buying and selling options by providing a quantitative understanding of the risks and potential profits involved. It can also help with risk management strategies, such as hedging, and can be used to evaluate the performance of a trading strategy.