Can I Study Physics Without AP Physics or Calculus?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of studying physics in college without having taken calculus or AP physics in high school. The speaker reassures that it is possible, but may require more effort to catch up. They also mention that most colleges offer introductory calculus and physics courses for freshmen. There is also a discussion about the importance of calculus in physics.
Pat12345
I know this question will likely depend on the college that it is applied to, but...
If I were to not have taken any sort of Calculas, only pre-calculas in High School along with not taking AP Physics of any sort in High School would you still be able to enter college and study Physics?

If this is an unlikely possibility what would be the best ways/books/courses to teach yourself Calculas along with more advanced Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you can, just takes effort.

I know many people who didn't take calculus or physics in high school who went on to major in physics. You might be less prepared than some of your peers, but you can catch up pretty easily, those are only 2 classes.

My main concern is that colleges will be reluctant to allow me to pursue a physics major if I do not have experience with calculas based physics beforehand.

Why do you not find these responses reassuring?

Have you looked at the websites of the colleges you are interested in? Do any of them - at all - suggest that high school calculus based physics is required?

Most colleges set up their physics major so students can start by taking Calculus I and II during the freshman year, alongside the calculus-based introductory physics sequence.

Calculus-based intro physics doesn't really use much calculus for actual calculations and problem-solving. It's more for conceptual purposes, to simplify some derivations.

Related to Can I Study Physics Without AP Physics or Calculus?

1. Can I still study physics without taking AP Physics or Calculus in high school?

Yes, it is possible to study physics without taking AP Physics or Calculus in high school. While these courses may provide a strong foundation for studying physics in college, they are not required for admission into most undergraduate programs.

2. Will not taking AP Physics or Calculus put me at a disadvantage in studying physics?

Not necessarily. While having a background in these subjects may make some concepts in physics easier to grasp, it is not essential for success in the field. With hard work and determination, you can still excel in physics even without taking AP Physics or Calculus in high school.

3. Are there any alternative courses I can take to prepare for studying physics without taking AP Physics or Calculus?

Yes, there are other courses that can help you prepare for studying physics. Taking courses in algebra, trigonometry, and geometry can provide a strong mathematical foundation for understanding physics concepts. Additionally, introductory physics courses at the college level may also cover some of the topics taught in AP Physics and Calculus.

4. Will I be able to catch up with my peers who have taken AP Physics and Calculus?

It is possible to catch up with your peers who have taken AP Physics and Calculus, but it may require extra effort on your part. This could include seeking additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, and seeking help from professors or tutors.

5. Are there any tips for studying physics without taking AP Physics or Calculus in high school?

Yes, some tips for studying physics without taking AP Physics or Calculus in high school include: staying organized, seeking help when needed, practicing problem-solving regularly, and staying motivated and determined. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and geometry before starting your physics studies.