Can I Start Studying Physical Chemistry Without a Chemistry Background?

In summary: Worth a try. Better if you are an undergraduate student trying for Chemistry as your major field, so you would have academic study and laboratory exercises. You would find some Thermodynamics and reaction Kinetics and other parts to Physical Chemistry; at first in your General Chemistry course, and then later there would be a Physical Chemistry course/courses. I only stated a Physics "Thermodynamics" course in my belief that it might give a stronger understanding of this, but I may be mistaken.
Aleoa
Hi guys,
i'm a computer scientist with no background in Chemistry and I'm very interested in the field of Physical Chemistry.

Do you think i can directly start to study a Physical Chemistry book ?
If yes, do you have some books to suggest ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physical Chemistry is a lot of thermodynamics, and to adequately prepare for it, you really need a good basic chemistry book that introduces you to some of the thermodynamics. I recommend "University Chemistry" by Mahan as a very good book to get started. See https://www.amazon.com/dp/8131729575/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ## \\ ## Our professor, who himself was a thermodynamics and physical chemistry expert, used this book when I was a college student in a one year=3 quarters honors first year chemistry sequence, and it is really quite excellent.

I doubt you will be able to grasp the ideas without any general chemistry background.

Aleoa said:
Hi guys,
i'm a computer scientist with no background in Chemistry and I'm very interested in the field of Physical Chemistry.

Do you think i can directly start to study a Physical Chemistry book ?
If yes, do you have some books to suggest ?
Borek is right, but what he said was not enough.

A pathway to understanding Physical Chemistry will depend on at least one year of university undergraduate Calculus, MORE THAN the one-year study of General Chemistry; and undergraduate Physics courses THROUGH at least the Thermodynamics course.

Physical chemists with more than just undergraduate degree may have more accurate comments about this.

Likes Charles Link
symbolipoint said:
Borek is right, but what he said was not enough.

A pathway to understanding Physical Chemistry will depend on at least one year of university undergraduate Calculus, MORE THAN the one-year study of General Chemistry; and undergraduate Physics courses THROUGH at least the Thermodynamics course.

Physical chemists with more than just undergraduate degree may have more accurate comments about this.

Hi thanks.
With calculus I'm good, and talking about Physics, i may find a good undergraduate Physical Chemistry book that includes a nice Thermodynamics section. What do you think ?

Aleoa said:
Hi thanks.
With calculus I'm good, and talking about Physics, i may find a good undergraduate Physical Chemistry book that includes a nice Thermodynamics section. What do you think ?
Worth a try. Better if you are an undergraduate student trying for Chemistry as your major field, so you would have academic study and laboratory exercises. You would find some Thermodynamics and reaction Kinetics and other parts to Physical Chemistry; at first in your General Chemistry course, and then later there would be a Physical Chemistry course/courses. I only stated a Physics "Thermodynamics" course in my belief that it might give a stronger understanding of this, but I may be mistaken.

Related to Can I Start Studying Physical Chemistry Without a Chemistry Background?

1. What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter at the atomic and molecular levels. It combines principles from physics and chemistry to explain the physical processes that govern chemical reactions and interactions.

2. What are some examples of physical chemistry?

Some examples of physical chemistry include thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, spectroscopy, and electrochemistry. Physical chemists study the properties of matter such as energy, heat, light, and electricity to understand the fundamental principles of chemical reactions.

3. What is the importance of physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of matter at the molecular level. It provides a theoretical framework for interpreting experimental data and designing new experiments. This knowledge is essential for developing new materials, technologies, and processes in fields such as medicine, energy, and environmental science.

4. What skills are needed for a career in physical chemistry?

A career in physical chemistry requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and physics. It also involves proficiency in laboratory techniques, data analysis, and computer programming. Effective communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other scientists and presenting research findings.

5. How can I learn more about physical chemistry?

There are many resources available to learn more about physical chemistry, including textbooks, online courses, and scientific journals. Attending conferences and seminars and joining professional organizations can also provide opportunities to network and stay updated on the latest research in the field. Additionally, conducting research or working in a laboratory setting can provide hands-on experience and deepen understanding of physical chemistry principles.