Can I Read 30 Extra Credits in 1 Year at 200%?

• Thread starter izzor
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a top student studying engineering at a university in Scandinavia. They have been studying at a pace of 150% and have excelled in their courses. They are considering studying French and increasing their workload to 200%. However, they are concerned about the feasibility of this and how it will affect their grades. They are also considering studying abroad, but are unsure about how to balance their workload. The expert advises caution and suggests focusing on areas of interest rather than taking on more courses. They also suggest reducing the workload to 100% and adding French on top of that.
izzor
Hello, I am currently studying enginnering in a university in Scandinavia and will be starting my third year now next week with the total eduaction being five years. I have been studying at a pace of 150% over the last year, including extra mathematics, physics and chemistry. It has been really tough, forcing me to study every minute of the day. However I got the highest grades in almost all courses, meaning I am a so called model pupil.

I have lately been interested in studying french, meaning I will have to step up from 150% to 200%. Is this possible? How much more work will it take studying a new language?

I am somewhat talented in languages and can speak three languages with full proficiency. How many hours a week will I have to spend in order to read 30 extra credits distributed over a year? If I manage I will have to accomplish 120 credits in a year which is equivalent to two years of full time studying, while still keeping my current standard (highest possible grade).

Once again, is this possible? Do you guys have any tips? Inputs? Etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are already forcing yourself to study every minute of the day, then perhaps studying even more is not the best idea.

The argument to actually read another language is to pursue studies abroad and to increase my intellectual value.

Sure, I got that. But when you're already overworked, you can't do anything extra.

I completely agree with micromass here. From your first post it seems you're already near or at the edge of what's possible. I can see a couple of options for when you do try:
1) You'll (barely) manage but your grades will drop and you won't understand your classes as well;
2) You'll discover halfway the semester that you won't manage and have to drop (a) course(s), causing a lot of frustration;
3) You'll fail some courses;
4) You'll burn-out trying to do 200% and fall back to only being able to do <50% for a prolonged time.
And yes, this is meant to slightly scare you. I have been in your position myself and have seen multiple people around me in the same position as well, and have seen all of the outcomes I mentioned.

Trying to get the best out of yourself is good of course, but be careful. It seems like you're already the top student at your school. If I were you, I'd rather spend some time reading up on topics I find interesting than taking more courses, if you still have some time and want more challenge.

Now about learning french. Doing studies abroad is a lot of fun and will be very valuable. If that's what you want to do, do it. But you'll have to drop some other courses. Cut your normal workload back to 100% and take french on top of that. Keep on impressing everyone with your high grades in those courses, learn french, go abroad. That'd be my advice.

Related to Can I Read 30 Extra Credits in 1 Year at 200%?

What does "reading 30 extra credits in 1 year at 200%" mean?

Reading 30 extra credits in 1 year at 200% means completing 30 additional credit hours in one academic year while taking on a course load that is double the typical amount of credits for that time period.

Is it possible to read 30 extra credits in 1 year at 200%?

Yes, it is possible to read 30 extra credits in 1 year at 200%. However, it requires a significant amount of dedication, time management, and academic ability.

Why would someone want to read 30 extra credits in 1 year at 200%?

There are a few reasons why someone might want to read 30 extra credits in 1 year at 200%. It could be to graduate early, catch up on credits, or fulfill a challenging academic goal.

What are the potential benefits of reading 30 extra credits in 1 year at 200%?

The potential benefits of reading 30 extra credits in 1 year at 200% include saving time and money on tuition, gaining a competitive edge in the job market, and developing strong time management and academic skills.

What are the potential challenges of reading 30 extra credits in 1 year at 200%?

Some potential challenges of reading 30 extra credits in 1 year at 200% include increased stress and workload, less time for extracurricular activities, and a higher risk of burnout. It is important to carefully consider these factors before taking on such a demanding academic load.