Can I Measure Total Pressure with a Thin Pipe Instead of a Pitot Tube?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of pitot tubes to measure total pressure and the accuracy of using a thin piece of pipe for this purpose. There is also mention of the instruments needed to measure flame speed and the potential risk to the pitot tube when exposed to a flame.
yangshi
Since pitot tubes measure total pressure from the flow ramming into the total pressure hole, could I use any thin piece of pipe facing the flow (given that it's smooth on the inside) to measure total pressure? Trying to think of ways not to use my pitot tube to measure the total pressure of a flame. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Normaly there is no flow in a pitot tube, so the smooth schould be in the opening of the tube.
It's just a question of accurasy in the messure.

Is it really the total pressure you want ?
A typical pitot tube are used to result in the dynamik pressure whitch gives you speed / flow of the fluid messured.

Thanks for the reply. So OK, I'll use a thin steel tube then. And yes, I'm trying to find the flame speed and have a static port set up, but I don't want to expose my pitot tube to the flame.

That's right, take care of the instruments.

volu-probe-pitot-airflow-measurment-traverse-probe.png

http://www.airmonitor.com/products/volu-probe-traverse-probes/

Related to Can I Measure Total Pressure with a Thin Pipe Instead of a Pitot Tube?

1. What is total pressure and why is it important to measure?

Total pressure refers to the sum of all the individual pressures exerted by different gases in a mixture. It is important to measure because it can give insight into the composition and properties of a gas mixture, and it is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications such as in gas dynamics, weather prediction, and gas analysis.

2. How is total pressure measured?

Total pressure can be measured using a device called a manometer, which uses a column of liquid to measure the pressure exerted by a gas. Other methods include using pressure transducers or barometers.

3. What units are used to measure total pressure?

Total pressure is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa), although other units such as atmospheres (atm) or millimeters of mercury (mmHg) may also be used. In some specialized applications, total pressure may be measured in units of torr, bar, or pounds per square inch (psi).

4. What factors can affect total pressure measurements?

Several factors can affect total pressure measurements, including temperature, gas composition, and altitude. Temperature can cause changes in the volume and pressure of a gas, while gas composition can affect the number of gas molecules present and their individual pressures. Altitude can also have an impact on total pressure, as atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing altitude.

5. How is total pressure related to other types of pressure?

Total pressure is related to other types of pressure such as partial pressure and vapor pressure. Partial pressure refers to the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture, while vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by a gas in equilibrium with its liquid or solid form. Total pressure is the sum of all the individual partial pressures in a gas mixture, and it includes both the partial pressure of each gas and the vapor pressure of any present liquids or solids.