Can I Measure the Output of an Unknown High Voltage Transformer?

• Thread starter Hohenheim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, the conversation is about an old high voltage furnace ignition transformer with no specification plate. The person is wondering if they can plug it into 50v to measure the output and calculate the ratio. They are also unsure about calculating the current output at 240v and ask for help. The conversation also discusses the possibility of measuring the secondary voltage with a lower primary voltage to avoid handling high voltage. The idea of getting maximum amps through the secondary is mentioned but the conversation is closed due to the danger of the topic.
Hohenheim
Hi, I have an old high voltage furnace ignition transformer with no specification plate on it, When plugged to 240v it gives about 10mm arc length; with no proper equipment to measure such high voltage I was wondering if I can plug it 50v and measure the output to calculate the ratio.
I'm also stuck in calculating the current output at 240v.
I suppose that this kind of transformers are made to work in short circuit mode so the nominal current equals the shortcut current?

Any help would be a real relief because my brain is having a huge heat loss.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I recall a figure of 30000 volts per centimeter. So your arc is being caused by about 30000 volts.

I doubt that it would be rated to do this constantly as a furnace would be started with a spark and then the spark would be turned off.

You could probably measure the AC current in the secondary circuit if you are careful to insulate the meter, but you would need a moving coil meter to do this and not an expensive digital multimeter.

Although the meter would give a reading, it may not mean much because conduction would only be for a short time at the positive and negative peaks of the incoming sinewave. So the actual current will be a lot higher than the indicated current.

Last edited:
I suppose that this kind of transformers are made to work in short circuit mode so the nominal current equals the shortcut current?

I would guess it's made like a ballast. Open circuit voltage is quite high but as soon as current starts to flow voltage drops radically.
Magnetic shunts give that characteristic by allowing flux to bypass secondary winding when current starts to flow and it's making secondary amp-turns.

If you're just characterizing the transformer perhaps you could power it as a step down.
Apply 240V to high voltage secondary winding and see how many millivolts you get on primary. That should give an idea as to turns ratio without need to handle high voltage. You can easily fry an expensive meter with just a couple kilovolts.

Then , if first test says you can expect a safely measurabe secondary voltage with 6V on primary, maybe you could put 6VAC on primary from a filament transformer.

old jim

Thanks for the help, I applied 12V on the primary and I got about 190V, So on 240v I would have 3800v.
Maybe an idea to get the maximum amps through the secondary?

Hohenheim said:
Hi, I have an old high voltage furnace ignition transformer with no specification plate on it, When plugged to 240v it gives about 10mm arc length; with no proper equipment to measure such high voltage I was wondering if I can plug it 50v and measure the output to calculate the ratio.
I'm also stuck in calculating the current output at 240v.

Any help would be a real relief because my brain is having a huge heat loss.

Hohenheim said:
Thanks for the help, I applied 12V on the primary and I got about 190V, So on 240v I would have 3800v.
Maybe an idea to get the maximum amps through the secondary?

Sorry, this is too dangerous to be discussed here. Thread closed.

Related to Can I Measure the Output of an Unknown High Voltage Transformer?

1. What is the purpose of a transformer?

Transformers are electrical devices that are designed to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through the process of electromagnetic induction. They are commonly used to step up or step down the voltage of an electrical power supply.

2. What are the main types of transformers?

The two main types of transformers are step-up transformers, which increase voltage levels, and step-down transformers, which decrease voltage levels. There are also other specialized types such as isolation transformers and autotransformers.

3. How do I determine the power rating of a transformer?

The power rating of a transformer can be determined by multiplying the voltage and current ratings. This will give you the maximum amount of power that the transformer can handle without overheating.

4. What is the difference between single-phase and three-phase transformers?

Single-phase transformers have only one primary and one secondary winding, while three-phase transformers have three primary and three secondary windings. Three-phase transformers are more commonly used in industrial and commercial applications, as they can handle higher power loads.

5. How can I determine the efficiency of a transformer?

The efficiency of a transformer can be calculated by dividing the output power by the input power. This will give you a percentage that represents how much of the input power is being converted into usable output power. Generally, the higher the efficiency, the better the transformer.