Can I find a photo of a landform created by tectonic shear in Canada?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for reference material on a landform resulting from tectonic shear. The speaker suggests using a website and provides specific search criteria to find relevant images. They also mention a faultline they discovered near Kingston and the resulting investigation, which involved a geologist and aerial survey. The fault was about 12 feet wide and filled with glacial till and rock. The speaker found the job to be interesting.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm looking for reference material. I need a good photo of a landform that is a direct result of tectonic shear. Canadian content strongly preferred - haven't been able to find any online.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Ooh thanks!

Google Earth: channel between Swanson and Crease Islands, N end of Vancouver Island, may be sitting on a shear fault.

fault line

I actualy dug up a faultline near Kingston a few years age. It ran just off the edge of a tank nest and was a conduit for fuel leaks. The resulting investigation led to me demolishing 9 houses. I have pics of the fault in the bedrock. I was tasked with trying to follow it a year or so later and made a video of the excavation process. We hired a geoligest from the University of Waterloo. His investigation led him to a Canadian geological survey seismology station a few miles from the site. It was monitoring the fault. His aerial survey showed a cool phenominon. The bedrock in this area is very close to surface, The trees in the fault were larger by degrees than the ones rooted in the very shallow soil. This was not a feature we could see from the ground but it was very clear from the air. Where I was working on it, the fault was about 12 feet wide, filled with glacial till and rock I could not tell the depth. I did end up putting a mini excavator down the crack to try to dig deeper. It was a fairly interesting job.

Related to Can I find a photo of a landform created by tectonic shear in Canada?

1. What is tectonic shear?

Tectonic shear is a type of geological movement that occurs when two tectonic plates slide past each other in opposite directions. This movement can cause earthquakes, as well as the formation of mountain ranges and other geological features.

2. Where does tectonic shear occur in Canada?

Tectonic shear occurs in various regions of Canada, including the west coast along the Pacific Ring of Fire, the eastern coast along the Atlantic Ocean, and the interior of the country along the Canadian Shield. These areas are where tectonic plates meet and interact, resulting in tectonic shear.

3. How common are earthquakes in Canada due to tectonic shear?

Canada experiences an average of over 4,000 earthquakes every year, most of which are caused by tectonic shear. The majority of these earthquakes are small and go unnoticed, but occasionally larger earthquakes occur, particularly along the west coast. However, Canada has strict building codes and emergency preparedness plans in place to minimize the impact of earthquakes on its population.

4. How does tectonic shear affect the Canadian landscape?

Tectonic shear has had a significant impact on the Canadian landscape, as it has contributed to the formation of mountain ranges, such as the Rocky Mountains and the Appalachian Mountains. It has also resulted in the creation of other geological features, such as deep valleys, canyons, and plateaus. Additionally, tectonic shear can cause the shifting and tilting of land, which can affect the distribution of natural resources.

5. Is tectonic shear in Canada a cause for concern?

While tectonic shear in Canada does contribute to earthquakes and can have an impact on the landscape, it is not a major cause for concern. Canada has advanced technology and infrastructure in place to monitor and prepare for earthquakes, as well as strict building codes to ensure the safety of its citizens. However, ongoing research and monitoring of tectonic shear is important for the continued safety and understanding of this natural phenomenon.