Can I Do Organic Electronics Research in a Different Grad Program?

In summary, it is a good idea to contact the faculty member who you are interested in working for to find out their program's acceptance policy. It is also a good idea to take additional courses in EE to increase your understanding of both fields. Finally, it may be a hassle to have two research mentors, but it is doable.
leright
I am finishing up my bachelor's (double major in EE and physics) and I want to pursue graduate studies (PhD) to do research on organic electronic devices. I am mainly interested in EE and applied physics grad programs, but some of the organic electronics research is done in the material science, chemistry, and chemical engineering departments. Would it be a problem for me to apply to EE or applied physics grad programs, yet do research in say the material science or chemical engineering departments? How does this work? I am not all that interested in applying to chemistry grad programs, especially since I don't have a chemistry degree (I do have a minor though).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd suggest your best course of action is to call up the people who are doing that research and ask them which programs they accept students from. While someone may have their primary appointment in a chemistry department, if their research is interdisciplinary, they may also be on the graduate faculty in an engineering department and accept students from that program as well, but the only way to find out is to ask.

On the other hand, if your interest is that interdisciplinary, it might suit you better to apply to the chemistry grad program, and take additional courses in EE, so that you get more depth of understanding of both fields.

The third option is that you have two research mentors. This can be a bit of a hassle, because one may tug you one way, and the other the other way at times, but it is doable. One would be in your department of interest, and the other doing the chemistry side of things, so that you can develop research that bridges the two fields. Again, be cautious about this. Talk to a lot of people before applying to a program with this idea in mind. In particular, find out if your potential mentors have done something like that before, talk to other grad students when those mentors aren't around to find out if they "play nice with others," etc. These are important things for any grad program, but especially important if your success may require seeking mentoring outside your graduate program faculty, and having co-mentors who get along with one another.

Moonbear said:
I'd suggest your best course of action is to call up the people who are doing that research and ask them which programs they accept students from. While someone may have their primary appointment in a chemistry department, if their research is interdisciplinary, they may also be on the graduate faculty in an engineering department and accept students from that program as well, but the only way to find out is to ask.

On the other hand, if your interest is that interdisciplinary, it might suit you better to apply to the chemistry grad program, and take additional courses in EE, so that you get more depth of understanding of both fields.

The third option is that you have two research mentors. This can be a bit of a hassle, because one may tug you one way, and the other the other way at times, but it is doable. One would be in your department of interest, and the other doing the chemistry side of things, so that you can develop research that bridges the two fields. Again, be cautious about this. Talk to a lot of people before applying to a program with this idea in mind. In particular, find out if your potential mentors have done something like that before, talk to other grad students when those mentors aren't around to find out if they "play nice with others," etc. These are important things for any grad program, but especially important if your success may require seeking mentoring outside your graduate program faculty, and having co-mentors who get along with one another.

Thanks moonbear. I figured I should contact the faculty member I am interested in working for. I will also look into applying to chemistry and material science programs, but I might not be as competitive for those grad programs since I lack significant chemistry background (outside of my minor).

Related to Can I Do Organic Electronics Research in a Different Grad Program?

1. Can I conduct organic electronics research in a different graduate program?

Yes, it is possible to conduct organic electronics research in a different graduate program. However, it is important to ensure that the program you choose has a focus on materials science, chemistry, or physics, as these fields are closely related to organic electronics research. It is also important to discuss your research interests with potential advisors to ensure they have the expertise and resources to support your research.

2. Do I need a background in organic electronics to conduct research in this field?

While having a background in organic electronics can be helpful, it is not always necessary to conduct research in this field. Many graduate programs offer courses and training in organic electronics, and having a strong foundation in materials science, chemistry, or physics can also be beneficial. With dedication and hard work, it is possible to conduct high-quality research in organic electronics without prior knowledge in the field.

3. Can I use different techniques and methods for organic electronics research in a different graduate program?

Yes, you can use different techniques and methods for organic electronics research in a different graduate program. Many universities have state-of-the-art equipment and facilities that can support a wide range of research methods. It is important to discuss your research plans with your advisor and utilize the resources available to you to ensure the success of your research.

4. Are there any specific graduate programs that specialize in organic electronics research?

Yes, there are some graduate programs that specialize in organic electronics research. These programs may offer more courses and opportunities related to this field, and have faculty members who are experts in organic electronics. However, it is also possible to conduct organic electronics research in other graduate programs that have a focus on materials science, chemistry, or physics.

5. Can I collaborate with researchers from other fields while conducting organic electronics research in a different graduate program?

Yes, it is encouraged to collaborate with researchers from other fields while conducting organic electronics research in a different graduate program. Collaborating with experts from different fields can bring new perspectives and ideas to your research, and lead to innovative solutions. It is important to establish strong communication and teamwork with your collaborators to ensure the success of your research project.