Can I Circumnavigate the Earth in 24 Hours?

• Thread starter abrowaqas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, if someone were to jump into the open sky and stay there for 24 hours, they would not make a complete rotation of the world due to the fact that the Earth's atmosphere rotates along with the planet. Even if they were to reach a high enough altitude to be out of the atmosphere, their momentum would keep them moving at the same speed unless acted on by an external force. However, if they were on a planet without an atmosphere, jumping would not affect their speed.
abrowaqas
If I just jump in the sky and will stay for 24 hours by any means, will i make a round of whole world in 24hr?

As the Earth rotates in 24 hour. and if i jump in the open sky and will stay there for 24 hours by any means(helicoper or personal rocket) .. will i make a round of whole world ..

how Earth rotates.. is it rotate by taking whole atmosphere .. ..

kindly explain..

Physics news on Phys.org
The atmosphere does indeed rotate along with the Earth. So no, you couldn't hover above the Earth and let it rotate underneath you, unless you were sufficiently high i.e. out of the atmosphere (defeating the point of the question).

Even out of the atmosphere you still rotate with the planet.
You may be on a planet without atmosphere. When you jump you don't loose the speed you had when in contact with the planet.

No. Even without the atmosphere, your momentum should keep you going at the same speed unless acted on by an external force. Newton's first law.

nasu said:
When you jump you don't loose the speed you had when in contact with the planet.
Depends how you jump.

Related to Can I Circumnavigate the Earth in 24 Hours?

1. Can anyone circumnavigate the Earth in 24 hours?

No, it is not possible for a person to circumnavigate the Earth in 24 hours. This would require traveling at an average speed of approximately 25,000 miles per hour, which is much faster than any current technology allows for.

2. Is it possible for a plane to circumnavigate the Earth in 24 hours?

While it is possible for a plane to travel around the Earth in 24 hours, it would require a very specific flight path and extremely fast speeds. Additionally, the plane would need to be refueled multiple times, making it difficult and impractical to achieve.

3. Has anyone ever circumnavigated the Earth in 24 hours?

No, there is no record of anyone successfully circumnavigating the Earth in 24 hours. The fastest recorded circumnavigation was achieved by a team of pilots in 1992, who completed the journey in just under 58 hours.

4. Why is it difficult to circumnavigate the Earth in 24 hours?

Circumnavigating the Earth in 24 hours is difficult because of the Earth's size and curvature. It would require traveling at an incredibly high speed, which is currently not possible with our current technology. Additionally, there would be logistical challenges such as refueling and potential weather and air traffic delays.

5. Is it possible to circumnavigate the Earth in 24 hours with future technology?

It is possible that with future advancements in technology and transportation, it may be possible to circumnavigate the Earth in 24 hours. However, it would require significant developments in speed and efficiency, and it is currently not something that is realistically achievable.