Can Gravity Be Manipulated Like Electromagnetic Force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between gravity and electromagnetic force, with the main difference being that gravity cannot be cancelled or adjusted like electromagnetic force can. The concept of black holes and the effects of mass and pressure on fusion are also mentioned.
Crazymechanic
Hi , I have a question that arose in mind.
If gravity is a spacetime curvature just like GR says it is the I guess the only way to altering it is from the physical size/density of the object curving the space fabric, like sun being bigger having higher gravity and so on.
But if we find that gravity is like electromagnetic force , could we be able to adjust it just like we can make different kinds of strenghts of the electromagnetic force like in an electromagnet.
In the case of the existence of graviton I guess.

Please explain this to me , because i feel like getting something wrong here or maybe not...?
Thanks in advance for your 2cents of input :)

Girts.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sources of electromagnetism are charges and currents. Charges can be either plus or minus, and currents can be reversed. Therefore charges can cancel each other out. And likewise for currents, you can put magnets in opposition and their fields will at least partially cancel.

The source of gravity is mass/energy, which is always positive. You can't cancel one mass with another mass, they always add. And the equivalence principle tells us that the gravitational field for a given mass is always the same. So it can't be "adjusted"!

Yes, the behaviour of gravitational and electromagnetic force is very different.
Both their quanta: the photon and the graviton(if exists) must behave differently

But if mass gets to big, like after a star burns out its fusion fuel, the gravity overcomes and all the mass shrinks to a point where it can be compresssed no more and that point or sphere is the black hole right? a place with concentrated mass.

but when a thermonuclear two or more stage weapon is detonated basically as i understand one of the factors that makes fusion possible is the enormous pressure upon the secondary stage made by the primary stage of a fission bomb?

proton/proton charge repulsion is a headache to fusion engineers I guess:)

But if mass gets to big, like after a star burns out its fusion fuel, the gravity overcomes and all the mass shrinks to a point where it can be compresssed no more and that point or sphere is the black hole right?
Too big and too cold, right (burning stars can be more massive than small black holes, as long as radiation provides enough pressure to counter gravity). The black hole is the whole object.

Thermonuclear weapons are not related to gravity or black holes. Fission usually provides the energy to ignite fusion, right. Without proton-proton repulsion, we wouldn't have any regular atoms.

Related to Can Gravity Be Manipulated Like Electromagnetic Force?

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works through the interaction of mass and distance. Objects with more mass have a stronger gravitational pull, and the closer objects are to each other, the stronger the force of gravity between them.

3. Is gravity the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the force of gravity is not the same everywhere on Earth. It varies slightly depending on the altitude, latitude, and topography of a location.

4. How was gravity discovered?

Gravity was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He observed the motion of objects and formulated the laws of motion and gravity, which are still used today to understand how objects move in space.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

As of now, we do not have the technology or understanding to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are constantly studying and researching the properties of gravity in hopes of one day harnessing its power for practical use.