Can Fa = -Fb Solve E-Field Problem Faster Than Calculating at Part 1?

• Thread starter kenok1216
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E-field
In summary: No, integrating again won't help. The force on the rod is dependent on the distance from the point charge, not the charge itself.
kenok1216

Homework Statement

擷取.PNG

Homework Equations

kq/r^2=E
λ=q/L

The Attempt at a Solution

λ=8μC/1=8μC/m
dq=λdx
dE=k(dq)/(√(x^2+2^2))^2
dE=kλdx/(x^2+4)
-----------------------------------------------
for x-direction
dEx=dEcosθ=(2kλdx)/(x^2+4)^(3/2)
Ex
=2kλ∫dx/(x^2+4)^(3/2)
=2kx[x/4(x^2+4)^(1/2)] (from 0 to 1)
=2kλ/4√5=16099.68V/m
----------------------------------------------------
for y-direction
dEy=-dEsinθ=-kλxdx/(x^2+4)^(3/2)
Ey
=-kλ∫xdx/(x^2+4)^(1/2) (from 0 to 1)
=-kλ(-1/√5+0.5)=-3800.6V/m
------------------------------------------------------------
Enet=√[(Ex)^2+(Ey)^2]=16.54kV/m
diretion=tanEy/Ex=-13.28degree
----------------------------------------------------------
but the answer of (b)(i) E=24.65KV/m diretion=-13.28degree
what is wrong during the calculation ?
also no idea on (b)(ii)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kenok1216 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 99562

Homework Equations

kq/r^2=E
λ=q/L

The Attempt at a Solution

λ=8μC/1=8μC/m
dq=λdx
dE=k(dq)/(√(x^2+2^2))^2
dE=kλdx/(x^2+4)
-----------------------------------------------
for x-direction
dEx=dEcosθ=(2kλdx)/(x^2+4)^(3/2)
Ex
=2kλ∫dx/(x^2+4)^(3/2)
=2kx[x/4(x^2+4)^(1/2)] (from 0 to 1)
=2kλ/4√5=16099.68V/m
----------------------------------------------------
for y-direction
dEy=-dEsinθ=-kλxdx/(x^2+4)^(3/2)
Ey
=-kλ∫xdx/(x^2+4)^(1/2) (from 0 to 1)
=-kλ(-1/√5+0.5)=-3800.6V/m
------------------------------------------------------------
Enet=√[(Ex)^2+(Ey)^2]=16.54kV/m
diretion=tanEy/Ex=-13.28degree
----------------------------------------------------------
but the answer of (b)(i) E=24.65KV/m diretion=-13.28degree
what is wrong during the calculation ?
also no idea on (b)(ii)
the point charge of -3μC will affect the result of Ex?

kenok1216 said:
anyone help...

kenok1216 said:

No it wont, your method seems fine to get the Electric field assuming the values plugged in and integration done was right. For the second part, F=qE can you make something of it?

擷取.PNG

my handwrite version, something wrong in here?
for the point charge act on the rod, how can i cal the e-field ,do integration again??
AbhinavJ said:
No it wont

AbhinavJ said:
No it wont, your method seems fine to get the Electric field assuming the values plugged in and integration done was right. For the second part, F=qE can you make something of it?
but the answer of 12(b)(i) is
24.65 kVm-1;
-13.28°

Yes for the point charge on rod, you'll have to Integrate again. dF=lamdadx*E, where E is the Electric field at that particular point. Similar to the above method. And maybe the answer for the 1st question in the book could be wrong, because the angle is coming out right that meand Ex and Ey are correct or youre incredibly lucky.

13090557_1090718594332948_1690021814_n.jpg
AbhinavJ said:
Yes for the point charge on rod, you'll have to Integrate again. dF=lamdadx*E, where E is the Electric field at that particular point. Similar to the above method. And maybe the answer for the 1st question in the book could be wrong, because the angle is coming out right that meand Ex and Ey are correct or youre incredibly lucky.
q = 8μC?(charge of rod object A) how dq related to dx? dq=λdx?? λ of point charge?? -3μC/0?? since part 2 is want to calculate force on object A, so λ is the λ of the point charge?

Last edited:
kenok,
I think your answer for part (i) in the OP is probably correct. I have not checked the numbers carefully. But you can easily check that the answer of 24.65 kV/m cannot be correct. Can you see that even if you concentrated all of the charge of the rod as a point charge at the base of the rod, it would not produce that much electric field at B.

For part (ii), is there any relation between the force felt by the rod and the force felt by the charge at B?

TSny said:
kenok,
I think your answer for part (i) in the OP is probably correct. I have not checked the numbers carefully. But you can easily check that the answer of 24.65 kV/m cannot be correct. Can you see that even if you concentrated all of the charge of the rod as a point charge at the base of the rod, it would not produce that much electric field at B.

For part (ii), is there any relation between the force felt by the rod and the force felt by the charge at B?
action and reaction pair so Fb=-Fa?

kenok1216 said:
View attachment 99599
q = 8μC?(charge of rod object A) how dq related to dx? dq=λdx?? λ of point charge?? -3μC/0?? since part 2 is want to calculate force on object A, so λ is the λ of
the point charge?

Each part of the rod is at a different distance from the point charge, thereby feels a different force. Get force as a function of x, integrate.

AbhinavJ said:
Each part of the rod is at a different distance from the point charge, thereby feels a different force. Get force as a function of x, integrate.
thank for you , but final i do not do integrate in part 2
using Fa=-Fb can solve this problem more faster since Fb=qEb and Eb is calculate at part 1

kenok1216 said:
using Fa=-Fb can solve this problem more faster since Fb=qEb and Eb is calculate at part 1
Yes, you can do that.

Related to Can Fa = -Fb Solve E-Field Problem Faster Than Calculating at Part 1?

1. What is an E-field problem?

An E-field problem refers to a situation where there is an unknown distribution of electric field in a region. This can occur in various situations, such as when there are multiple charges present or when the geometry of the region is complex.

2. Why is integration used to solve E-field problems?

Integration is used to solve E-field problems because it allows us to calculate the electric field at a point by summing up the contributions of all the individual charges present. This is possible because the electric field is a vector quantity and follows the principle of superposition.

3. What is the process of integrating to solve an E-field problem?

The process of integrating to solve an E-field problem involves breaking the region into small elements, calculating the electric field contribution of each element, and then summing them up using an integral. This integral can be solved analytically or numerically using techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

4. What are the limitations of using integration to solve E-field problems?

One limitation of using integration to solve E-field problems is that it can be time-consuming and complex, especially for regions with irregular shapes or complex charge distributions. Additionally, it may be difficult to accurately model the behavior of charges in certain situations, such as when there are moving charges or changing electric fields.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving E-field problems?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving E-field problems, such as using numerical methods like finite element analysis or boundary element method. These methods involve discretizing the region into small elements and solving for the electric field at each element, which can be computationally efficient for complex geometries. Additionally, there are software programs available that can solve E-field problems using these numerical methods.