Can Electrons Travel Through Quartz?

In summary: Thanks Gareth,So if we have an electron with a higher energy, it can penetrate further into quartz than an electron with a lower energy?Yes, that's right.
gareth
I'm wondering can electrons travel through quartz at any great distance.

I'm assuming since quartz is an insulator they will not be able travel any apreciable distance within the material.

Say if we got some extremely high energy electrons and fired them at a quartz slide, would any of them penetrate the slide.

My gut feeling is no, unless you're dealing with rediculously high energy electrons or a very thin plate of quartz.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
gareth said:
I'm wondering can electrons travel through quartz at any great distance.

I'm assuming since quartz is an insulator they will not be able travel any apreciable distance within the material.

Say if we got some extremely high energy electrons and fired them at a quartz slide, would any of them penetrate the slide.

My gut feeling is no, unless you're dealing with rediculously high energy electrons or a very thin plate of quartz.

Any thoughts?

First of all, electrons tend to have a larger penetration depth through an insulator than they do through metals. This is because since metals have a larger density of free electrons, the electron-electron collision tends to be energy-absorbing. This is compared to electron-ion collision that predominantly occurs in insulators, in which the electron regains almost all of its original energy.

Secondly, yes, electrons can penetrate quartz through over a certain length, or even ordinary glass, for that matter (why just quartz?). It is very energy-dependent. For electrons with energy less than, say 5 keV, the penetration is of the order of microns. But if you have electrons with energy of a few MeV, it can be of the order of millimeters.

Zz.

Thanks ZapperZ,

Could ou recommend a text, or maybe just tell me the equation, of the relationship between penetration depth of an electron and the energy?

I assume it will be similar to the equation describing the penetration depth of light into a material, but with a very shorter wavelength for the electron.

Gareth

This isn't that trivial, since it can be model dependent. For example, there are models in which you have to do a Monte Carlo analysis to obtain the penetration depth, rather than settling for an analytical expression.

Having said that, there are models such as the Kanaya-Okayama[1] range relations that provide an almost phenomenological model for the dependence of the electron penetration depth as a function of several parameters, including the incident energy.

[tex]\lambda = \frac{0.0276AE^{1.67}}{Z^{0.89}d}[/tex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the penetration depth, A is the atomic mass, E is the incident energy, Z is the average atomic number of the solid, and d density of the material.

Zz.

[1] K. Kanaya and S. Okayama, J. Phys. D v.5, p.43 (1972).

I tried a few rough calculations but I'm definitely missing something fundamental here;

Electrons have mass, so they can't go faster than c, so the maximum kinetic energy as calculated from 0.5mv^2 is around 0.26MeV. Surely this isn't the absolute limit for an electron. I could have sworn I saw papers qouting higher values than this.

What am I missing?

gareth said:
I tried a few rough calculations but I'm definitely missing something fundamental here;

Electrons have mass, so they can't go faster than c, so the maximum kinetic energy as calculated from 0.5mv^2 is around 0.26MeV. Surely this isn't the absolute limit for an electron. I could have sworn I saw papers qouting higher values than this.

What am I missing?

This is now a different question. You need to look at relativistic energy calculation, and why 1/2 mv^2 doesn't work as v approaches c.

Zz.

Related to Can Electrons Travel Through Quartz?

1. What is the significance of electrons passing through quartz?

The movement of electrons through quartz is important because it allows for the creation of electronic devices, such as transistors and computer chips. Quartz is a semiconductor material, meaning it can conduct electricity under certain conditions. By controlling the flow of electrons through quartz, we can manipulate and store information, making it an essential component in modern technology.

2. How do electrons pass through quartz?

Electrons can pass through quartz in two ways: through a direct current (DC) or an alternating current (AC). In DC, electrons flow in one direction, while in AC, they alternate back and forth. This movement of electrons is possible because of the unique atomic structure of quartz, which allows for the flow of electricity under certain conditions.

3. What is the role of electrons in quartz crystal oscillators?

In quartz crystal oscillators, electrons play a crucial role in generating a precise and stable frequency. When an electric current is applied to a quartz crystal, the electrons within the crystal vibrate at a specific frequency, which can be used to keep time in electronic devices. This is why quartz crystal oscillators are commonly used in watches, clocks, and other timekeeping devices.

4. Can electrons pass through quartz without any resistance?

No, electrons passing through quartz do experience some resistance. However, compared to other materials, quartz has a relatively low resistance, making it a good conductor of electricity. This is why it is commonly used in electronic circuits and devices.

5. How is the movement of electrons through quartz related to the piezoelectric effect?

The piezoelectric effect is a phenomenon where certain materials, like quartz, generate an electric charge when mechanical stress is applied. In the case of quartz, the movement of electrons through the crystal creates a mechanical stress, leading to the generation of an electric charge. This effect is utilized in various applications, such as in microphones, ultrasound machines, and pressure sensors.