Can Ecology Achieve the Mathematical and Theoretical Rigor of Physics?

• Thread starter Andy Kleinhesselink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ecology
In summary, ecology may not be considered a "hard" science like physics in terms of mathematical and theoretical rigor, but it is still a rigorous and important scientific field. Ecologists face challenges in achieving this level of rigor due to the complexity of ecological systems. However, the use of mathematical and theoretical approaches can benefit ecology by allowing for predictions and hypotheses testing. While it may not have reached the same level of rigor as physics, there are examples of ecology using these approaches to make significant contributions. To improve the rigor of ecology, further development and collaboration between ecologists and mathematicians is necessary.
Andy Kleinhesselink
Hi I'm Andy,

I'm a post-doctoral scholar at UCLA studying Ecology. I'm hoping that ecology can achieve some of the mathematical and theoretical rigor of physics one day.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool Beans. Howdy and Welcome.

Welcome!

Andy Kleinhesselink said:
I'm hoping that ecology can achieve some of the mathematical and theoretical rigor of physics one day.
I know nothing in ecology, but just out of curiosity: does ecology have equations at all?

Tons of equations. Check out any quantitative ecology book from the library or any article in leading ecology journals such as American Naturalist or Ecology Letters.

One theory, the maximum entropy theory of ecology, made a big splash recently and is directly inspired by statistical mechanics in physics:

Maximum Entropy and Ecology: A Theory of Abundance, Distribution, and Energetics https://g.co/kgs/2t3eLo

In my view the problem with ecology is that we have a lot of equations but we don't know which to use.

We haven't been able to isolate and make precise measurements in the way physics has. This has probably hindered making definitive judgments on hypotheses. And we have very little predictive ability compared to physics. This may be because there is so much more statistical noise inherent in ecological data.

It's an area ripe for new insight and theory.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Sounds like a good topic to start a thread on. I'll close this Introduction thread so you can start a PM conversation or start a new thread (maybe in the Earth forum?). Thanks. :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu

Related to Can Ecology Achieve the Mathematical and Theoretical Rigor of Physics?

1. Can ecology be considered a "hard" science like physics?

This is a common question because physics is often seen as the pinnacle of scientific rigor and precision. While ecology may not have the same level of mathematical and theoretical rigor as physics, it is still a rigorous and important scientific field.

2. What challenges do ecologists face in achieving mathematical and theoretical rigor?

Ecology is a complex and dynamic science that deals with living organisms and their interactions with each other and their environment. This complexity makes it challenging to create mathematical models and theories that accurately represent real-world ecological systems.

3. How does the use of mathematical and theoretical approaches benefit ecology?

Mathematical and theoretical approaches allow ecologists to make predictions and test hypotheses about ecological systems. This can help us understand the underlying mechanisms driving ecological processes and make informed decisions about conservation and management.

4. Are there any examples of ecology achieving the same level of mathematical and theoretical rigor as physics?

While ecology may not have reached the same level of rigor as physics, there are many examples of ecologists using mathematical and theoretical approaches to make significant contributions to the field. For example, population dynamics models have been used to predict the effects of climate change on species' distributions.

5. What steps can be taken to improve the mathematical and theoretical rigor of ecology?

One way to improve the rigor of ecology is to continue developing and refining mathematical models and theories that accurately reflect real-world systems. Collaborations between ecologists and mathematicians can also help bridge the gap between the two fields and lead to more rigorous and interdisciplinary research.