Can Differentiation Under the Integral Sign Solve Regular Curves Family Length?

In summary, the conversation discusses a one parameter family of regular curves defined by a function with endpoints \alpha(a) and \alpha(b). The length of these curves is represented by a function L(\epsilon) and it is shown that the derivative of this function at \epsilon=0 is equal to the integral of the product of the curvature of the function \alpha and the differentiable function f(s). The conversation also touches on differentiating under the integral sign and utilizing the definition of the inner product to simplify the process.
Demon117

Homework Statement

Let [itex]\alpha : I =[a,b]→R^{2}[/itex] be a rgular curve parametrized by arc length [itex]s[/itex]. Let [itex]f:I→R[/itex] be a differentiable function with [itex]f(a)=f(b)=0[/itex]. For small values of [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

[itex]\alpha_{\epsilon}:=\alpha (s) + \epsilon f(s) N(s)[/itex]

defines a one parameter family of regular curves having endpoints [itex]\alpha(a)[/itex] and [itex]\alpha(b)[/itex]. The length of these curves defines a function

[itex]L(\epsilon):=L_{a}^{b}(\alpha_{\epsilon})=\int_{a}^{b} \left|\frac{d}{ds}\alpha_{\epsilon}\right| ds[/itex]

By differentiating under the integral sign, show that

[itex]L'(0)=-\int_{a}^{b}k_{\alpha}f(s)ds[/itex]

where [itex]k_{\alpha}[/itex] is the curvature of the function [itex]\alpha[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is somewhat limited to purely differentiating the term inside the integrand. I merely want to check that I am approaching this the right way. What I have so far is the following. Since the term [itex]k_{\alpha}f(s)[/itex] is continuous we can differentiate under the integral sign. We have therefore,

[itex]\frac{d}{ds}\alpha_{\epsilon}=\alpha'(s)+\epsilon [f'(s)N(s)+f(s)N'(s)][/itex]

[itex]=\alpha'(s)+\epsilon [f'(s)N(s)+f(s)(-k_{\alpha}(s)T(s))][/itex]

Where T(s) is the tangent to the curve [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Furthermore, this gives

[itex]\alpha'(s)+\epsilon [f'(s)(\frac{1}{k_{\alpha}(s)}T'(s)+f(s)(-k_{\alpha}(s)\alpha'(s))][/itex]

[itex]=\alpha'(s)+\epsilon [f'(s)(\frac{1}{k_{\alpha}(s)}\alpha''(s)+f(s)(-k_{\alpha}(s)\alpha'(s))][/itex]

Now this is where it gets tricky. I want to show

[itex]L'(0)=-\int_{a}^{b}k_{\alpha}f(s)ds[/itex]

which implies that I look at the derivative of the function at [itex]\epsilon=0[/itex]. But how would one differentiate [itex]\left|\frac{d}{ds}\alpha_{\epsilon}\right|[/itex] with the "modulus" present?
Either I am over complicating this or I have simply forgotten this sort of exercise from previous work. . . Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I realize what my problem was now. I took a wrong turn and now realize that I must next differentiate with respect to [itex]\epsilon[/itex] then take the limit as [itex]\epsilon[/itex] approaches zero. Furthermore I could get away with utilizing the definition of the inner product [itex]\left|\frac{d}{ds}\alpha_{\epsilon}(s)\right|=\sqrt{<\frac{d}{ds}\alpha_{\epsilon}(s),\frac{d}{ds}\alpha_{\epsilon}(s)>}[/itex].

Following through with some differentiation on [itex]s[/itex] and then differentiation the inner product with respect to [itex]\epsilon[/itex]; things simplify quite a bit once the limit is taken. The result immediately pops out after some useful inner product applications. Now to write down a rigorous proof of this.

Related to Can Differentiation Under the Integral Sign Solve Regular Curves Family Length?

1. What is a family of regular curves?

A family of regular curves is a collection of mathematical curves that share a common mathematical equation or parameter. These curves can be described using a set of mathematical functions, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, or exponential functions.

2. How are family of regular curves used in science?

Family of regular curves are used in various fields of science, such as physics, biology, and engineering. They can help in modeling and predicting natural phenomena, such as the growth of populations, the movement of particles, or the behavior of fluids.

3. What are the characteristics of a regular curve?

A regular curve is defined as a smooth and continuous curve that does not intersect itself. It has a unique tangent at any given point and its curvature is non-zero. A regular curve can also be described by a single-valued function with a finite domain.

4. How are family of regular curves different from parametric curves?

Family of regular curves and parametric curves are both collections of curves, but they differ in their mathematical representation. Parametric curves are described by a set of independent parameters, while family of regular curves are described by a common equation or parameter.

5. What are some real-life applications of family of regular curves?

Family of regular curves have many real-life applications, such as in designing roller coasters, predicting weather patterns, and modeling economic trends. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic animations.