Can Diamonds Handle Harsh Chemicals?

• Thread starter smartroh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diamond
In summary, diamonds should be kept away from lotion, perspiration, and other corrosive household cleaners such as pure ammonia or bleach. However, they can be cleaned regularly using a commercial jewelry cleaner, a dilute solution of ammonia and water, or a mild detergent. It is also important to avoid scratching or damaging the diamonds. Special care should be taken with more delicate diamond jewelry such as tiaras and broaches.
smartroh
Do diamonds get affected by any acidic or alkaline liquids the one which is present in the toilet cleaners and the nail paint removers...

Physics news on Phys.org
smartroh said:
Do diamonds get affected by any acidic or alkaline liquids the one which is present in the toilet cleaners and the nail paint removers...

http://www.unclaimeddiamonds.com/education_care.cfm
http://www.londongold.com/df-care.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is interesting, first link: "Therefore try to keep diamonds away from lotion, perspiration and other corrosive household cleaners such as ammonia or bleach cleaners", second link: "Clean your diamonds regularly using a commercial jewelry cleaner, a mix of ammonia and water, or a mild detergent". I guess pure ammonia is not good, but a dilute solution is fine? My jeweler also recommended a soapy solution of dishwashing detergent and ammonia (1:6) in warm water.

Monique said:
Well this is interesting, first link: "Therefore try to keep diamonds away from lotion, perspiration and other corrosive household cleaners such as ammonia or bleach cleaners", second link: "Clean your diamonds regularly using a commercial jewelry cleaner, a mix of ammonia and water, or a mild detergent". I guess pure ammonia is not good, but a dilute solution is fine? My jeweler also recommended a soapy solution of dishwashing detergent and ammonia (1:6) in warm water.

Yes I noticed that. I was struck too by the idea that there may be cracks and scratches in ones diamonds.

Hopefully the tiaras broaches don't require much maintenance.

I don't wear those while cleaning the toilet, so I guess it's a non-issue.

Related to Can Diamonds Handle Harsh Chemicals?

1. Can diamonds withstand harsh chemicals?

Yes, diamonds are one of the hardest materials known to man and can withstand most harsh chemicals without being damaged.

2. Are there any chemicals that can damage diamonds?

While diamonds are generally resistant to most chemicals, they can be damaged by strong acids such as hydrofluoric acid and hot caustic solutions.

3. How do diamonds react to bleach?

Diamonds are unaffected by household bleach and can withstand exposure to it without any damage.

4. Can I clean my diamond jewelry with harsh chemicals?

It is not recommended to clean diamond jewelry with harsh chemicals as it can potentially damage the metal settings or weaken the prongs holding the diamond in place. It is best to stick to gentle cleaning methods using mild soap and water or a jewelry cleaning solution specifically designed for diamonds.

5. Can I wear my diamond jewelry while using cleaning products?

It is best to avoid wearing diamond jewelry while using harsh cleaning products as they can potentially damage the metal or weaken the prongs holding the diamond in place. It is recommended to remove any jewelry before using cleaning products and to put it back on after the chemicals have been thoroughly rinsed away.