Can Derivatives be Taken with Respect to Functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking a derivative with respect to a function instead of just a variable, and provides an example using the chain rule. It also touches on the idea of writing an equivalent integral using this method. The conversation then delves into the concept of functional derivatives and how they relate to integration and substitution. The conversation concludes by mentioning the application of this method in physics.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Is it possible to take a derivative with respect to a function, rather than just a variable? I'll give a simple example of how I imagine such a thing would work to try to explain...

[tex]\frac{d}{d(sin(x))}\left(sin^2(x)\right) = 2 sin(x)[/tex]

Can you take a derivative this way?

Also, can you write an equivalent integral as such?

[tex]\int 2 sin(x) d(sin(x)) = sin^2(x) + C[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I was thinking the same thing after looking at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=422688".

I found this site about differentiating with respect to functions:
http://www.transtutors.com/calculus-homework-help/differentiation/differentiation-with-respect-to-another-function.aspx
Looks quite easy just using the chain rule.

As far as integrating, no clue so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're looking for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_derivative" .

ross_tang said:
To differentiate f(x) w.r.t g(x), just do the following:

[tex]\frac{d f(x)}{d g(x)}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{d f(x)}{d x}\frac{d x}{d g(x)}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{d f(x)}{d x}\left(\frac{d g(x)}{d x}\right)^{-1}[/tex]

Char. Limit, for the integration, what you have written is the standard way I learned to do integration. The general form is:

[tex] \int g(x) f'(x)d x=\int g(x)d f(x)[/tex]

For example, by using the property of differential, [tex] d x^2/2 = x d x [/tex]

[tex]\int e^{x^2}x \text{dx}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}\int e^{x^2}\text{dx}^2[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}e^{x^2}+C[/tex]

This method of doing integration is much better than using substitution in many situations. Since if the integral is complicated, you don't have to do substitution repeatedly.

alxm said:
Sounds like you're looking for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_derivative" .

no, it is just parametric ordinary differentiation.

[tex]
w = f(u) = u^{2}, u(x) = \sin{(x)} \Rightarrow \frac{dw}{du} = f'(u) = 2 u = 2 \sin{(x)}
[/tex]

Functional derivatives are derivatives of functionals with respect to functions. [itex]\sin^{2}{(x)}[/itex] is not a functional.

Dickfore said:
Functional derivatives are derivatives of functionals with respect to functions. [itex]\sin^{2}{(x)}[/itex] is not a functional.

Ah yes, silly me.. Guess I've been reading too many DFT papers lately.

You'll even see things such as integrals over volumes, [tex]d^3x[/tex], done in terms of [tex]d(cos(\theta))[/tex] instead of just [tex]d\theta[/tex]. So instead of [tex]r^2sin(\theta)drd\theta d\phi[/tex], you can change your limits of integration to be [tex]r^2drd(cos(\theta))d\phi[/tex]. My first encounter, and I bet a lot of physics majors first encounter, is integrating Legendre Polynomials that are dependent on [tex]cos(\theta)[/tex] so it is only natural.

It's basically the method of substitution "on the go".

It's really just the chain rule. The "derivative of f(x) with respect to g(x)" is
[tex]\frac{df}{dg}= \frac{df}{dx}\frac{dx}{df}= \frac{\frac{df}{ex}}{\frac{dg}{dx}}[/tex].
It is simply "the rate of change of f compared to that of g" or "the rate of change of f divided by the rate of change of g".

And, as others have said, integration in that form is just "substitution" which is, itself, the "chain rule in reverse".

Related to Can Derivatives be Taken with Respect to Functions?

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. They represent the slope of a function at a specific point and can be used to find the instantaneous rate of change at that point.

2. Why do we use derivatives?

Derivatives are used in many fields of science and engineering to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and approximation. They provide a way to analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of a specific expression as the change in the input variable approaches zero. There are also several techniques, such as the chain rule and product rule, that can be used to find the derivative of more complex functions.

4. What is the difference between derivative and differentiation?

Derivative and differentiation are related concepts, but they are not the same thing. Derivative refers to the value of the slope at a specific point on a function, while differentiation is the process of finding the derivative at any point on a function.

5. How are derivatives used in real-world applications?

Derivatives have many real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate velocity and acceleration, in economics to maximize profits and minimize costs, and in medicine to model the growth of tumors. They are also used in engineering to optimize designs and in finance to calculate risk and return on investments.