Can Depression Qualify You for Exam Exemption? Expert Advice from a Fellow PF'er

• Testing
  • Thread starter Cudi1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary, it is unlikely that you will be able to get an exemption from exams due to suicidal thoughts, but if you are serious about getting help, there are a number of ways you could go about it.
Cudi1
Hello all, I have examinations in the upcoming 2 weeks but I can't concentrate due to these rampant suicidal thoughts I've been having, I`m going to go to the doctor and get treated for depression . Do you think it is possible to be exempt from exams due to these circumstances?
Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

fellow pf`er

Physics news on Phys.org
Exempted means you don't have to take them ever. No, that's very unlikely to get you anything but a poor grade in the class for failing your exams. Try to get an incomplete in the class instead, and you can do them next semester instead.

Ask whether you may be excused and just take the test later. If not, then you should consider withdrawing the course rather than fail.

It would depend on the university and the class, but in my classes, with a doctor's note explaining that you could not make the class session, you'd be excused from the final, receive an incomplete for the term and have to take it later.
I'd do one of the following:
1) Submit an incomplete (which become an F after some duration determined by the university)
2) Submit a low passing grade (if you would still pass the course with a zero grade entered for the exam)... because that wouldn't become an F after some time.

You should, however, read the syllabus for each class and contact the professors for advice... not ask us here.

Good luck, however, getting treated. Recognizing you need treatment is a big step in the forward direction.

If your problems are serious and a doctor can testify to that, you may be able to get your university to give you a medical leave of absence for a semester. You'll have to find out what the procedure is at your university. Start by asking your academic advisor, or a professor, or someone in the registrar's office.

Related to Can Depression Qualify You for Exam Exemption? Expert Advice from a Fellow PF'er

1. What is Exam Exemption for Depression?

Exam Exemption for Depression is a policy that allows students with depression to be excused from taking exams if they are unable to complete them due to their mental health condition. This is often offered as an accommodation by universities and schools to support students who are struggling with depression.

2. Who qualifies for Exam Exemption for Depression?

Qualifications for Exam Exemption for Depression vary from institution to institution, but in general, students with diagnosed depression or other mental health conditions may be eligible. It is important to check with your school or university for their specific policies and procedures.

3. How can I request Exam Exemption for Depression?

If you believe you may qualify for Exam Exemption for Depression, you should reach out to your school's disability services office or counseling center. They will have the necessary forms and procedures in place for requesting this accommodation. It is important to provide any documentation or evidence of your condition to support your request.

4. Will Exam Exemption for Depression affect my grades or academic standing?

No, Exam Exemption for Depression should not negatively impact your grades or academic standing. This accommodation is meant to support students who are struggling with their mental health and provide them with an alternative way to complete their coursework.

5. Can I use Exam Exemption for Depression for all of my exams?

This will depend on your school's policies and the severity of your condition. Some institutions may have a limit on the number of exams you can be exempt from, while others may allow for more flexibility. It is important to discuss your specific needs with your school's disability services office or counseling center.