Can Crankshaft Vibration Be Managed by Adjusting Flywheel Mass?

• Thread starter Buel
  • Start date
In summary, adjusting the flywheel mass can effectively manage crankshaft vibration. By increasing the mass of the flywheel, the energy absorbed by the flywheel during each rotation is increased, reducing the amount of energy passed onto the crankshaft and minimizing vibration. However, this solution may not be suitable for all engines and careful consideration must be given to the design and balance of the engine. Other methods such as changing the firing order or using counterweights may also be effective in managing crankshaft vibration.
Buel
Hello, I have been a qualified A Grade Automotive Engineer for over 40 years and have just joined this forum as it looks like others here know what they are on about. Not sure if I fit but time will tell. I need to build a motor for a special application and I have a question involving crankshaft vibration vs flywheel mass which my automotive resources are struggling with. As it involves physics perhaps someone here can help. As this is my introduction I will ask it later. Does it sound like I have landed in the right place?
Regards

Likes berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Buel said:
I need to build a motor for a special application and I have a question involving crankshaft vibration vs flywheel mass which my automotive resources are struggling with. As it involves physics perhaps someone here can help.
Sounds like a good fit for the ME forum. We discuss a lot of automotive and aero issues in there.
Buel said:
Does it sound like I have landed in the right place?
Absolutely! Welcome to the PF. :smile: