Can Convergence Theories Be Categorized as Countable and Uncountable?

• Thread starter bolbteppa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the conversation discussed organizing thought processes about real analysis using general questions to motivate the theory and explored the possibility of viewing the theory of convergence of sequences as a theory of 'countable convergence', the theory of convergence of sequences of functions as a theory of 'uncountable convergence', and the theory of limits of functions in terms of pointwise convergence of sequences of functions. It also considered the application of set theory, relation theory, and topology to the ideas of subsequences, monotonicity, and bounded sequences, respectively. This approach of asking general questions to motivate the theory was seen as a helpful way to understand and make connections between different concepts.
bolbteppa
I'm trying to organize my thought processes about real analysis, using general questions to motivate the theory, in the hopes of using this format for when I study functional analysis or something, so it doesn't feel like 50 new ideas & instead is the modification of previously existing ideas in a new domain - thus I'd like to ask some stupid questions & would love any feedback.

a) Could one look at the theory of convergence of sequences of numbers as a theory of 'countable convergence'?
b) Could one look at the theory of convergence of sequences of functions as a theory of 'uncountable convergence'?
(Even though you are dealing with a sequence from N into a set of functions, the domain of the function is uncountable & the essential quality of these things is the uncountability it seems...)
c) Can we phrase the theory of limits of functions (over ℝ) in terms of (pointwise?) convergence of sequences of functions?
(We can phrase the theory of limits of functions in terms of limits of sequences of numbers, i.e. sequential continuity, but since there is a discrete quality to this I think it would be nicer to begin with some form of continuity (in the uncountable continuum sense) & think of it's interplay with limits of sequences of numbers more as a theorem relating uncountablility to countability via continuity - thus can we phrase the ε-δ definition of a limit of a function in terms of convergence of a sequence of functions?)
d) Could one talk about subsequences as the application of set theory (subsets) to the idea of sequences?
e) Could one talk about monotonicity of sequences as the application of relation theory (order relations like <) to the idea of sequences?
f) Could one talk about bounded sequences as the application of topology (norm || via a metric) to the idea of sequences?
(The point here is to try to motivate the necessity for asking these questions, & to establish a general format for the types of questions you want to ask about topic X, i.e. "now we'll examine the topological aspects of differentiability just as we did when examining sequences", thus something like "the limit laws" becomes the application of algebra to countable convergence etc...).

See how these go, thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org

I find your approach to organizing your thought processes about real analysis to be quite thoughtful and effective. It is always helpful to have a clear structure and set of questions to guide your thinking and understanding of a complex topic like real analysis.

To answer your questions, I do believe that it is possible to view the theory of convergence of sequences of numbers as a theory of 'countable convergence'. This is because, as you mentioned, the domain of the sequence is countable and the essential quality of this theory is the ability to converge to a specific point in this countable set.

Similarly, the theory of convergence of sequences of functions can be seen as a theory of 'uncountable convergence' since the domain of the functions is uncountable and the essential quality is the ability to converge to a specific function in this uncountable set.

I agree that the theory of limits of functions can be phrased in terms of pointwise convergence of sequences of functions. This is because the limit of a function at a point can be seen as the limit of a sequence of functions that converge to that point. This is a useful way to think about the relationship between continuity and limits of functions.

I also like your idea of viewing subsequences as the application of set theory to the idea of sequences. This is because a subsequence is essentially a subset of the original sequence, and set theory provides a framework for understanding subsets and their properties.

Similarly, monotonicity of sequences can be seen as the application of relation theory to the idea of sequences. This is because the order relation < can be used to compare the terms in a sequence and determine if they are increasing or decreasing.

Lastly, bounded sequences can be viewed as the application of topology to the idea of sequences. This is because topology deals with the properties of sets and their elements, and a bounded sequence is essentially a set of numbers that is limited by a specific range.

Overall, I think your approach of using general questions to motivate the theory of real analysis is a great way to understand the topic and make connections between different concepts. I encourage you to continue exploring these questions and applying this format to other topics like functional analysis. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Can Convergence Theories Be Categorized as Countable and Uncountable?

1. What is convergence?

Convergence refers to the coming together or merging of two or more different technologies, industries, or disciplines to create something new and more advanced. It can also refer to the integration of different forms of media, such as print, audio, and video, into a single platform.

2. Why is convergence important?

Convergence allows for the creation of more efficient and innovative products and services. It also leads to increased convenience for consumers, as they can access multiple forms of media or technologies in one place. Additionally, convergence often leads to cost savings and improved communication and collaboration between industries.

3. What are examples of convergence?

Some examples of convergence include the integration of mobile phones and computers into smartphones, the merging of traditional television and internet-based streaming services, and the combination of virtual reality and gaming technologies. Other examples include the use of artificial intelligence in various industries, such as healthcare and finance, and the integration of renewable energy sources into traditional power grids.

4. What are the potential impacts of convergence?

Convergence can have both positive and negative impacts. On the positive side, it can lead to increased efficiency, productivity, and convenience for consumers. It can also drive innovation and create new job opportunities. However, convergence can also result in job displacement and the potential for monopolies to form, limiting competition and consumer choice.

5. What are the challenges of convergence?

One of the main challenges of convergence is the rapid pace at which it occurs, making it difficult for businesses and industries to keep up and adapt. This can also lead to concerns about the security and privacy of personal data as different technologies and industries merge. Additionally, there can be regulatory challenges as different industries and technologies intersect, requiring new laws and policies to be put in place.