Can Complex Numbers Rotate and Invert Sine Functions?

• Thread starter zxh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sin
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inverse functions and their relationship to each other. The graphs of y = f(x) and x = f-1(y) are identical, while the graphs of y = f(x) and y = f-1(x) are reflections of each other. The conversation also touches on the function y = sin(x) and its inverse, y = arcsin(x), and how it is not a one-to-one function. The concept is demonstrated using complex numbers to rotate and reflect the functions.
zxh
Sry, noob, but i didn't find this anywhere.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No. Try Google.

The two functions are inverses of one another. In general, the graphs of y = f(x) and x = f-1(y) are identical, but the graphs of y = f(x) and y = f-1(x) are reflections of each other in the line y = x.

The situation is a little more complicated with y = sin(x) and y = arcsin(x) = sin-1(x) since the graph of the sine function isn't one-to-one (making the inverse not a function). The usual way around this is to restrict the domain of the sine function, defining y = Sin(x) = sin(x), with x restricted to the interval -pi/2 <= x <= pi/2.

So the title would be true for -sin, viewed as a curve?

Are you asking whether y = arcsin(x) is the rotation by 90 deg of y = -sin(x)? If that's the question, then no.

If that isn't the question, then what are you asking?

zxh said:
So the title would be true for -sin, viewed as a curve?
No it's only a segment of the curve, but the graph of y=arcsin(x) would fit over y=-sin(x) if rotated 90° either way about the origin.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's what i was looking for. I'm not too concerned about range definitions.
I came to this looking for a trig definition of a (half) circle (not the pythagorean Sqrt(r-x^2)).
At first i was wondering why Cos(Sin(x)) (given that the 2 functions for a circle in a parametric plot are sinx and cosx) didn't work but it turns out it's
Cos(ArcSin(x)).

You can show this algebraically. If you are familiar with complex numbers, this is easy.
1) multiply x+i (-sin x) with e^(i*pi/2) to rotate it by 90 degrees.
2) reflect x+i(-sin x) over the curve y=x to invert it.

Jarle said:
You can show this algebraically. If you are familiar with complex numbers, this is easy.
1) multiply x+i (-sin x) with e^(i*pi/2) to rotate it by 90 degrees.
2) reflect x+i(-sin x) over the curve y=x to invert it.

thanks, good one.

Related to Can Complex Numbers Rotate and Invert Sine Functions?

1. What is the relationship between arcsin and sin when rotated by 90°?

The arcsin function is the inverse of the sin function. When a function is rotated by 90°, its inverse is also rotated by 90° in the opposite direction. Therefore, arcsin sin rotated by 90° results in a function that is equivalent to the original sin function.

2. How does rotating a function affect its inverse?

Rotating a function by 90° affects its inverse by also rotating it by 90° in the opposite direction. This is because the inverse of a function is essentially a reflection of the original function over the line y=x. Therefore, any transformation applied to the original function will also be applied to its inverse.

3. What is the purpose of rotating a function by 90°?

Rotating a function by 90° is a common mathematical operation used to transform functions and explore their properties. It can help to simplify complex functions, visualize relationships between functions and their inverses, and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

4. Can arcsin sin be rotated by any other angle?

Yes, arcsin sin can be rotated by any angle. However, rotating a function by an angle other than 90° may result in a different function with different properties. It is important to consider the specific angle being rotated and its effects on the function and its inverse.

5. How does the rotation of arcsin sin affect its graph?

The rotation of arcsin sin by 90° affects its graph by simply rotating it by 90° in the opposite direction. This means that the x and y coordinates of each point on the graph will switch places, resulting in a mirror image of the original graph over the line y=x. The shape of the graph will remain the same, but its orientation will change.