Can communication between two distant points be instantaneous?

In summary: I3bS5Rp5Ck&t=1sIn summary, this example does not seem to work because there will be a compression wave that moves at no faster than the speed of sound in the material of the rod.
BrianS
I'm working on an illustrative analogy for instantaneous communication by entangled particles.

I am planning to write something along these lines, but I want to see if anyone can tell me if I'm missing something here:

"Imagine a rod that is connected in a frictionless and weightless environment between two distant points. The rod is solid, with a material that is so dense that it will not compress.

An operator (sender) at one end taps a morse-code message to a receiver at the other end. The rod moves easily with each tap, and thus, the message is communicated instantaneously between the sender and receiver - because the rod connects the two locations..."

Is there some reason this would not work?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrianS said:
The rod is solid, with a material that is so dense that it will not compress.

Sorry, there's no such thing. :H

Likes nasu, CWatters, russ_watters and 1 other person
jtbell said:
Sorry, there's no such thing. :H
So that is the problem with this example - there will be a compression wave that moves at no faster than C?

Likes CWatters
Bingo! :biggrin:

Awesome, thanks for the quick help. That saved me some grief :rolleyes:

I might be wrong but i believe the wave would only move at about the speed of sound in the material of the rod.

Likes Chestermiller and davenn
BrianS said:
So that is the problem with this example - there will be a compression wave that moves at no faster than C?
CWatters said:
I might be wrong but i believe the wave would only move at about the speed of sound in the material of the rod.

yup exactly .. the speed of sound relative to the density of the rod's composition

BrianS said:
Is there some reason this would not work?
This video might also interest you:

Related to Can communication between two distant points be instantaneous?

What is instantaneous communication?

Instantaneous communication refers to the transmission of information or messages over a distance in real-time, without any noticeable delay.

Is instantaneous communication possible?

Yes, instantaneous communication is possible through various technologies such as telephone, internet, and satellite communication.

What are the benefits of instantaneous communication?

Instantaneous communication allows for quick and efficient exchange of information, making it easier to collaborate, solve problems, and make decisions in real-time. It also helps to bridge the gap between individuals and organizations across distances.

What are the limitations of instantaneous communication?

One limitation of instantaneous communication is the reliance on technology, which can be prone to technical issues and disruptions. Another limitation is the potential for miscommunication due to the lack of nonverbal cues and context in some forms of instantaneous communication, such as text messaging.

How does instantaneous communication impact society?

Instantaneous communication has greatly impacted society by facilitating global connections, enabling real-time sharing of information and ideas, and revolutionizing industries such as business, education, and healthcare. It has also raised concerns about privacy and the blurring of boundaries between work and personal life.