Can Children Sense the Supernatural?

• Thread starter mjwhip2
  • Start date
In summary, some believe that children have a special ability to see and hear things that adults cannot, such as dead people. Two anecdotal stories support this belief. The first involves a one-year-old child who couldn't sleep in his deceased grandmother's room until after her funeral. The second involves a three-year-old child who felt uncomfortable near a grave where two singing girls were buried. Despite being told hours later, the child's story remained consistent. This leads to the question of whether these events are truly coincidences or if children do have a unique connection to the supernatural.
mjwhip2
Do you think it is a possibility? Some think children see/hear thing that adults cannot. That they are more "in tune" with the surroundings. That they can see dead people.

2 stories. First. When my grandmother passed, we were staying at her house with my oldest son, then 1 year old. We had set up his travel crib in what was my grandmothers room. For the days preceding the funeral my son would wake up crying multiple times during the night, we just couldn't get him to sleep through the night (which he had been doing for quite some time). We struggled for 2 nights trying to get him to have a good nights sleep. So the night of the funeral, after everyone had said goodbye to grandma, not a peep out of the kid. We thought it was kindof odd (although could have been only a coincidence) that until grandma was "put to rest" my son could not sleep in her room.

Second, Yesterday my parents were visiting the graves of relatives. They had my youngest son with them (3 years old) because I was coaching my oldest's t-ball team. They visited 3 cemetaries total. The first 2 went off without a hitch, my son had a problem with the third. He said he didn't like the place. My parents asked why. "I don't like the singing" Who is singing? "the 2 girls" The kicker of the story is that there were 2 fresh graves near the grave they were visiting. My dad noticed the closest one was of a relatively young girl. They didn't check the other. Even hours after the fact, my son didn't change his story. Which usually means (especially with a 3yo) that he is telling the truth.

Any thoughts?
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
The wonders of coincidence...

There is definitely a possibility that children may have a heightened sense of perception or intuition compared to adults. It is well known that children are more imaginative and open-minded, which may allow them to pick up on things that adults may not notice. This could potentially include seeing or sensing things that are beyond our physical realm, such as spirits or ghosts.

However, it is also important to consider other factors that may contribute to these experiences. For example, in the first story, it could have been the change in environment and routine due to the funeral that caused the child's sleep disruptions. In the second story, it could have been a combination of the child's imagination and the presence of fresh graves that led to his uneasiness.

Overall, it is difficult to say for certain whether children possess a special ability to see or hear things that adults cannot. While it is certainly possible, it is also important to approach these experiences with a healthy dose of skepticism and consider alternative explanations.

Related to Can Children Sense the Supernatural?

What is Kid Clairvoyance?

Kid Clairvoyance is the ability of children to perceive information about people, events, or objects without using any of the five senses. It is considered a form of extrasensory perception (ESP).

At what age do children typically exhibit clairvoyant abilities?

There is no specific age at which children typically exhibit clairvoyant abilities. Some children may show signs of clairvoyance as early as 3 or 4 years old, while others may not exhibit any abilities until they are older. It is important to note that not all children will exhibit clairvoyant abilities.

What are some signs that a child may have clairvoyant abilities?

Some signs that may indicate a child has clairvoyant abilities include talking about seeing or sensing things that others cannot, accurately predicting events or outcomes, and having a strong intuition or gut feeling about people or situations.

Is clairvoyance a supernatural or psychic ability?

There is no scientific evidence to support the existence of supernatural or psychic abilities. While some people may believe in these concepts, clairvoyance is not considered a supernatural or psychic ability by the scientific community. It is often attributed to a heightened sensitivity to subtle cues and non-verbal communication.

Can clairvoyance be developed or enhanced in children?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that clairvoyance can be developed or enhanced in children. However, some experts believe that practicing mindfulness and intuition exercises may help children tune into their natural abilities and improve their ability to perceive information beyond the five senses.