Can Cauchy's residue theorem be used for functions with poles at infinity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Cauchy's residue theorem in the case of a complex integral with a function that has a simple pole at infinity. It is shown that this is useful when the function is not meromorphic inside the contour, but is outside the contour. By using a conformal transformation, the function can be made meromorphic inside the contour, with a pole at zero.
zetafunction
my question is , let us have the following complex integral

[tex] \oint f(z)dz [/tex] where f(z) has a simple pole at [tex] z=\infty [/tex]

then by Residue theorem [tex] \oint f(z)dz =2\pi i Res(z,\infty,f(z) [/tex]

or equal to the limit [tex] (z-\infty )f(z) [/tex] with 'z' tending to infinity

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I don't see a question here! Are you asking if it is one or the other of those?

If so, it is the first. The second, the "limit [tex] (z-\infty )f(z) [/tex] with z tending to infinity", is the residue itself.

sorry i am not from US or England so my english could be a little mistaken

the idea of the post is: can we use 'Cauchy's residue theorem' even in the case the function f(z) has a pole at infinity ??

zetafunction said:
sorry i am not from US or England so my english could be a little mistaken

the idea of the post is: can we use 'Cauchy's residue theorem' even in the case the function f(z) has a pole at infinity ??

Yes. This is useful if the function is not meromorphic in the interior of the contour. Take e.g. the real integral (x^2 - x^3)^(1/3)dx from
x = 0 to 1. You can evaluate this by considering the so-called "dogbone" contour that goes from zero to 1 just below the real axis, encircles the branch point at z = 1 and then goes to zero just above the real axis and then encicles the branch point at z = 0.

Clearly the function is not meromophic inside the contour, but it is outside the contour (if you choose the branch cuts so that they cancel out outside the interval from zero to 1).

If you then perform the conformal transformation z ---> 1/z, you see that what was outside the contour is now inside the contour and what was inside is now outside. You also see that the function is now meromorphic inside the the contour and has a pole at zero.

Related to Can Cauchy's residue theorem be used for functions with poles at infinity?

1. What is the Cauchy residue theorem?

The Cauchy residue theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis that allows for the evaluation of certain contour integrals. It states that if a function is analytic inside and on a closed contour, then the value of the contour integral is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its isolated singularities inside the contour.

2. What is a residue?

A residue is the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of a function at an isolated singularity. It is denoted by Res and can be calculated using the Cauchy integral formula.

3. How is the Cauchy residue theorem used?

The Cauchy residue theorem is used to evaluate contour integrals of complex functions. It is especially useful in calculating integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It is also used in the study of meromorphic functions and their properties.

4. What are some applications of the Cauchy residue theorem?

The Cauchy residue theorem has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the study of complex analysis, number theory, and differential equations. It is also used in physics to solve problems in electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any variations or generalizations of the Cauchy residue theorem?

Yes, there are several variations and generalizations of the Cauchy residue theorem. Some of these include the residue theorem for multivalued functions, the generalized Cauchy residue theorem, and the Cauchy principal value theorem. These variations extend the applications of the Cauchy residue theorem to more complex and diverse functions and integrals.