Can calcium ions be used as a source of entangled photons

In summary, scientists have discovered that by heating calcium in a tantalum oven and subjecting the calcium vapor stream to blue laser, calcium atoms can absorb blue photons and emit two lower energy photons as they decay twice. This process creates a pair of entangled photons. However, maintaining the high temperature needed for this process is difficult, so using a concentrated water solution of a calcium salt may be a more practical alternative. While using a laser to excite calcium ions in a solution in water may still produce entangled photons, it is not a very efficient method and other techniques are being studied, such as entangling a large percentage of input light or creating on-demand entangled photons on a chip. Additionally, it should be noted that while some methods
sciencejournalist00
By heating calcium in a tantalum oven and subjecting the calcium vapor stream to blue laser, calcium atoms absorb the blue photons and emit two photons of lower energy as they decay twice.

Once they decay from the highest excited state to an intermediate excited state, and then from the intermediate excited state to the lowest energy state.
This double decay creates a pair of entangled photons.

I do not afford maintaining the high temperature needed to vaporize calcium for too long.
So instead, a concentrated water solution of a calcium salt could provide the alternative?

Do I still get entangled photons if I use a laser to excite calcium ions in a solution in water?

Physics news on Phys.org
sciencejournalist00 said:
Do I still get entangled photons if I use a laser to excite calcium ions in a solution in water?

You might get the occasional pair if you use a properly tuned laser. You will mostly get a lot of "noise" - which is common for many setups. So you use filters and coincidence counting to produce an entangled stream. Realistically you aren't going to get much from this configuration. The method you referenced, in its best setup, is not much used anymore due to better (more efficient) methods being available. So anything less than that would not be practical.

BTW, you might be interested in this article about entanglement using a beam splitter.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1602.01907

Note that entangled photon pairs are not produced by the beam splitter, but there is path entanglement. Since you are inquiring about different forms of entanglement, you might pick up something from their description of the setup.

DrChinese said:
BTW, you might be interested in this article about entanglement using a beam splitter.

Note that entangled photon pairs are not produced by the beam splitter, but there is path entanglement. Since you are inquiring about different forms of entanglement, you might pick up something from their description of the setup.

I know they aren't produced by the beam splitter, but as this shows http://www.unige.ch/gap/quantum/_media/publications:bib:afzelius2015a.pdf, the beamsplitter erases the information about their separate origins

New_Bitmap_Image.png

The reason I gave up using nonlinear crystals is the one you mentioned above. Most of the laser light does not get down-converted and becomes noise in the detection process. This is why I am looking for ways to entangle that involve entanglement of a large percent of the input light so that my detectors won't register noise.

My filters do not absorb all laser light. Even red filters allow some of the blue light to pass through so I cannot use them to separate entangled photon pairs from background light

The reason I gave up using nonlinear crystals is the one you mentioned above. Most of the laser light does not get down-converted and becomes noise in the detection process. This is why I am looking for ways to entangle that involve entanglement of a large percent of the input light so that my detectors won't register noise.

Why do you think scientists use the crystals? It is because it is the best source (or at least a better source). Many other methods are being studied at this time. The hope is to come up with something commercially feasible such as "on-demand entangled photons on a chip".

DrChinese said:

Hey Dr Chinese, you said the beam splitter creates path entanglement in this quote, then you contradicted yourself today by saying it doesnt. How's that?

Hey Dr Chinese, you said the beam splitter creates path entanglement in this quote, then you contradicted yourself today by saying it doesnt. How's that?

Because I keep telling you: the devil is in the details. Each context is different. You obviously have the interest. Why don't you take the time to read and understand the *entire* article? You can't make blanket statements and expect them to make sense without that understanding. Almost any such statement is easily contradicted in the complex world of Quantum Mechanics.

Related to Can calcium ions be used as a source of entangled photons

1. Can calcium ions be used to generate entangled photons?

Yes, calcium ions have been successfully used as a source of entangled photons in quantum experiments.

2. How are calcium ions entangled to produce photons?

Calcium ions can be entangled through a process called ion trapping, where the ions are held in place by electromagnetic fields and manipulated using laser beams to create a quantum state of entanglement.

3. What advantages do calcium ions have as a source of entangled photons?

Calcium ions have long coherence times, meaning they can maintain their entangled state for longer periods of time compared to other systems. They are also highly controllable and can be easily manipulated, making them a promising option for quantum information processing.

4. Are there any limitations to using calcium ions for generating entangled photons?

One limitation is the difficulty in scaling up the system to produce a large number of entangled photons. Additionally, the process of ion trapping and manipulation requires precise and complex equipment, making it challenging to implement in practical applications.

5. What potential applications could arise from using calcium ions as a source of entangled photons?

Potential applications include quantum communication, quantum computing, and quantum sensing. The ability to generate and manipulate entangled photons using calcium ions could also advance our understanding of quantum mechanics and lead to new discoveries in the field.