Transition of Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion

In summary, the homework statement states that a hydrogen-like ion of calcium emits a photon with energy 756 eV. The attempt at a solution found that the energy equation is Z=20 for a calcium ion, and the Rydberg energy is 13.6 eV. The transition term is from n=3 to n'=2.
TerraForce469

Homework Statement

A hydrogen‑like ion of calcium emits a photon with energy E = 756 eV. What transition was involved?

Homework Equations

The energy equation: E=Z^2*E_R*(1/n^2-1/n'^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First, Z=20 for a calcium ion, and E_R is the Rydberg energy 13.6 eV. Then I plugged everything in assuming that the electron which emits the photon goes back to the ground state, i.e. n=1.

However, I get n' ≈ 1.07, which does not seem sensible to me.

Any ideas or suggestions, please? Much appreciated.

Note: How do you write down the equations in a neat format on the forums? I'm a newbie so please go easy on me!

Physics news on Phys.org
If your result is wrong, one of the assumptions is wrong. In this case, the electron does not go back to the ground state.

Formula formatting -> LaTeX

mfb said:
If your result is wrong, one of the assumptions is wrong. In this case, the electron does not go back to the ground state.

Formula formatting -> LaTeX

Thank you for the formula formatting guidelines!

In that case, how do I deduce the transition involved? Because otherwise the problem doesn't state much, unless I'm missing another given assumption.

Attempt at the problem

Ok so I separated the transition term of the equation ##E=Z^2E_R(\frac{1}{n^2}-\frac{1}{n'^2})##: $$\frac{E}{Z^2E_R}=\frac{1}{n^2}-\frac{1}{n'^2}$$

and knowing that the right hand side's value, I started plugging in values for n for which $$\frac{1}{n'^2}= \frac{1}{n^2}-\frac{E}{Z^2E_R}$$ will still be come out positive.

I tried for a transition back to the n=2 state and got a close approximation to an integer value n'=9.

Could someone please check this for me?

Did you consider the square for n'?
I get a different result with smaller numbers.

I did.

If I consider a transition back to the ground state, I get n' to be some non-integer close to 1, which does not make sense.

mfb said:
Did you consider the square for n'?
I get a different result with smaller numbers.

What was your result?

n=2 is right, it fits perfectly to n'=3 and not to 9.

mfb said:
n=2 is right, it fits perfectly to n'=3 and not to 9.

Yes, you are right about that! That was my mistake.

The transition is from n=3 to n'=2. Guess for this problem they wanted you make a reasonable guess.

Related to Transition of Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion

1. What is a Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion?

A Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion is an atom of calcium that has lost one electron, leaving it with a positive charge. This ion is similar in structure to a hydrogen atom, with one proton in the nucleus and one electron orbiting around it.

2. How does a Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion transition to a lower energy state?

A Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion transitions to a lower energy state by emitting a photon of light. This photon is released when the electron jumps from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, releasing energy in the form of light.

3. What factors affect the transition of a Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion?

The transition of a Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion is affected by factors such as the strength of the electric field, the energy levels of the ion, and the presence of other ions or particles that may interact with it.

4. What applications does the transition of a Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion have?

The transition of a Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion has various applications in fields such as spectroscopy, laser technology, and quantum computing. It is also used in the study of atomic and molecular structure and in understanding the behavior of atoms in different environments.

5. How is the transition of a Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion studied?

The transition of a Calcium Hydrogen-like Ion is studied through experimental techniques such as spectroscopy, where the energy levels and transitions of the ion can be observed and measured. Theoretical calculations and models are also used to understand and predict the behavior of these ions.