Can Brain Scans Predict Thoughts in Real Time?

• Thread starter fredreload
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the study found that brain scans can predict an individual's decision making before the individual is consciously aware of it.
fredreload
So if I scan the brain precisely at the synapse level by observing the sodium firing, it is easy for me to obtain the result behind by a few milisecond, but what if I want to get the result ahead by a few milisecond, is it possible to predict a person's thought? And if the scan is my real brain it would be like back to the future type of setting?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the question.

If you're interested in the "Back to the Future" movies the science fiction forum is over here.

Last edited:
@fredreload
I think you have it backwards. Ideation (creating a thought) is one of the products of all the computing going on in the brain. Think of it this way: Your brain is a massively parallel processor. So, you have it backwards - "thoughts" are second: neural processing is first. If you insist on linearity, which is not a great idea anyway, especially in this case. In any case you are asking for time travel with a brain scan. No.

Otherwise @Choppy is correct - take your question to the speculation section - Science Fiction.

There was a study from a number of years ago reporting that brain scans show that the brain "decides" to take an action before the individual is consciously aware that they've made the decision:
Haynes and his colleagues imaged the brains of 14 volunteers while they performed a decision-making task. The volunteers were asked to press one of two buttons when they felt the urge to. Each button was operated by a different hand. At the same time, a stream of letters were presented on a screen at half-second intervals, and the volunteers had to remember which letter was showing when they decided to press their button.

When the researchers analysed the data, the earliest signal the team could pick up started seven seconds before the volunteers reported having made their decision. Because of there is a delay of a few seconds in the imaging, this means that the brain activity could have begun as much as ten seconds before the conscious decision. The signal came from a region called the frontopolar cortex, at the front of the brain, immediately behind the forehead.
http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080411/full/news.2008.751.html

Here's the citation for the paper: Soon et al. 2008. Unconscious determinants of free decisions in the human brain. Nature Neuroscience 11:543. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nn.2112[/URL]

So, there is precedence for the idea that brain scans may be able to predict an individual's thoughts and decisions (at least before the individual is conscious of them). However, I don't actively follow this field, so I'm not sure whether the results have held up, as papers using fMRI imaging are [url=http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/controversial-science-of-brain-imaging/]sometimes problematic[/url] and can pick up many [url=http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/neuroskeptic/2009/09/16/fmri-gets-slap-in-the-face-with-a-dead-fish/]false positives[/url].

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jim mcnamara
The first well known experiment was conducted by Libet (easy Google). These experiments have been used, largely, to investigate the existence of free will.

Well I'm thinking the very act of brain scanning creates a separate instance of yourself. I think mind needs a trigger for a specific event so it might be cause an action based(increase blood flow in certain area, generate thought).
It's an infinite loop? No idea

Last edited:

Related to Can Brain Scans Predict Thoughts in Real Time?

1. How does a brain scan work?

A brain scan, also known as a brain imaging technique, is a medical procedure that uses technology to create images of the brain. This can be done through various methods such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), computed tomography (CT) scan, positron emission tomography (PET) scan, or electroencephalography (EEG). These techniques use different forms of energy, such as magnetic fields or radio waves, to produce detailed images of the brain's structure and function.

2. What is the difference between a regular scan and a brain scan?

A regular scan, such as an X-ray or ultrasound, is used to image parts of the body such as bones or organs. A brain scan, on the other hand, specifically targets the brain and allows for detailed images of the brain's structure and function. It can also be used to diagnose and monitor various brain disorders and diseases.

3. How long does a brain scan take?

The duration of a brain scan can vary depending on the type of scan being performed. For example, an MRI can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, while a PET scan can take up to 2 hours. However, advancements in technology have allowed for faster brain scans, with some techniques now taking only a few minutes to complete.

4. Are there any risks associated with brain scans?

Brain scans are generally considered safe and non-invasive. However, some techniques, such as PET scans, involve the injection of a radioactive substance which may carry some risks. It is important to discuss any potential risks with your doctor before undergoing a brain scan.

5. Can a brain scan detect all types of brain disorders?

While brain scans can provide valuable information about the brain's structure and function, they may not be able to detect all types of brain disorders. Some disorders, such as depression or anxiety, do not have specific physical markers that can be detected through brain imaging. Additionally, brain scans are just one tool used in diagnosing brain disorders, and a comprehensive evaluation by a medical professional is necessary for an accurate diagnosis.