Can black holes convert matter/dark matter?

In summary, we don't know what dark matter is and what really happens inside a black hole. General Relativity is the usual model that is used for black holes but it is silent about what constitutes dark matter. Also GR predicts a singularity in the black hole but I don't think anyone seriously believes that this is physically the case.
Khashishi
Science Advisor
Can black holes convert dark matter into matter and vice versa?

Presumably, a black hole can gain its mass from eating normal matter, or dark matter, or light. Then, it will eventually evaporate into Hawking radiation. I guess the Hawking radiation should include light as well as both matter and dark matter particles.

Is a black hole made of matter exactly the same as a black hole made of dark matter? Could dark matter possesses a "dark charge" which alters the black hole metric analogous to the Reissner-Nordstrom metric?

Physics news on Phys.org
Khashishi said:
Can black holes convert dark matter into matter and vice versa?
no, stuff just falls in.

Presumably, a black hole can gain its mass from eating normal matter, or dark matter, or light.
yes
Then, it will eventually evaporate into Hawking radiation.
yes
I guess the Hawking radiation should include light as well as both matter and dark matter particles
No, Hawking radiation is not particles it is electromagnetic radiation.

Is a black hole made of matter exactly the same as a black hole made of dark matter?
Yes, you can't tell any difference at all.

Likes bsheikho
phinds said:
Oh? I thought it was a thermal mix of all particles. Photons just happen to be the most likely, due to having zero mass.

I don't think anyone knows what dark matter is or what really happens inside a black hole. General Relativity is the usual model that is used for black holes but it is silent about what constitutes dark matter. Also GR predicts a singularity in the black hole but I don't think anyone seriously believes that this is physically the case.

Cheers

cosmik debris said:
I don't think anyone knows what dark matter is or what really happens inside a black hole. General Relativity is the usual model that is used for black holes but it is silent about what constitutes dark matter. Also GR predicts a singularity in the black hole but I don't think anyone seriously believes that this is physically the case.

Cheers
We all know what really goes on in those Black Holes
tesseract.jpg

Khashishi said:
Is a black hole made of matter exactly the same as a black hole made of dark matter? Could dark matter possesses a "dark charge" which alters the black hole metric analogous to the Reissner-Nordstrom metric?
We don't know for sure what the stuff is, so we can't make authoritative pronouncements about its properties.

But seeing as how the evidence for its existence is observation of gravitational effects consistent with there being more mass in some volumes of space than is accounted for by the matter that we can see... The simplest and most obvious hypothesis is that it gravitates just like all other matter, and what makes it "dark" is just that it's not readily detectably through any of our traditional methods.

phinds said:
Khashishi said:
Oh? I thought it was a thermal mix of all particles. Photons just happen to be the most likely, due to having zero mass.
Khashishi is right...

Although for a stellar-mass black hole "most likely" is an huge enormous understatement. These things are radiating like a black body just barely above zero degrees Kelvin, and that's nowhere near energetic enough to have any discernible probability of producing massive particles. It gets more exciting with much smaller and hotter black holes.

Last edited:
Nugatory said:
Khashishi is right...
Thanks for that correction.

1. Can black holes convert regular matter into dark matter?

No, black holes are not able to convert regular matter into dark matter. Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with regular matter through electromagnetic forces, so it cannot be converted by a black hole.

2. Can black holes convert dark matter into regular matter?

No, black holes are not able to convert dark matter into regular matter. As mentioned before, dark matter does not interact with regular matter through electromagnetic forces, so it cannot be converted by a black hole.

3. Can black holes convert matter into energy?

Yes, black holes are able to convert matter into energy through a process called Hawking radiation. This process occurs when a black hole absorbs a particle and emits a corresponding anti-particle, resulting in a loss of mass and conversion of matter into energy.

4. Can black holes convert dark matter into energy?

No, black holes are not able to directly convert dark matter into energy. As mentioned before, dark matter does not interact with regular matter through electromagnetic forces, so it cannot be converted by a black hole. However, dark matter particles may still contribute to the mass of a black hole and thus indirectly affect its energy output.

5. Can black holes convert energy into matter/dark matter?

Black holes are not able to convert energy into matter or dark matter. As mentioned before, black holes can only convert matter into energy through Hawking radiation, but the reverse process is not possible. Additionally, dark matter cannot be created or destroyed, so it cannot be converted from energy into matter or vice versa.