Can Asymptotes Be Defined as Points or Circles in Exotic Topologies?

• Thread starter evanghellidis
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of an asymptote in the context of points, circles, and topologies. It also explores the possibility of defining an attractive force and mass-like property mathematically without using vectors. The concept of circular asymptotes is mentioned in relation to vector fields.
evanghellidis
Could an asymptote be defined as a point, or a circle? I assume it would be in a rather exotic topology, or a very trivial one. Furthermore, can we define each of these as the other's asymptote? The points would probably have to turn into lines(functions) by virtue of an extra dimension in that topology.

What I'm basically trying to figure out is how a generic attractive force, coupled with a generic mass-like property(i.e. the points can't overlap; passive repelling force) could be defined mathematically, without using vectors. I first thought of setting x,y as each other's limit(x->y and y->x), with x[tex]\neq[/tex]y, but that leads to x=y, due to the nature of the limit operation. With asymptotes, I'm guessing an infinity should show up.

Am I making any sort of sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Circular asymptotes occur in vector fields (differential equation systems). They are called attractors or repellers, depending on whether the flows rush in or come from it. The concept doesn't make much sense for usual functions.

Related to Can Asymptotes Be Defined as Points or Circles in Exotic Topologies?

1. What is a point/circular asymptote?

A point/circular asymptote is a type of asymptote that is a line or curve that a graph approaches but never touches or crosses. In other words, it is a line or curve that the graph gets closer and closer to, but never actually reaches.

2. How is a point/circular asymptote different from a vertical or horizontal asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a line that a graph approaches infinitely as it gets closer to a specific x-value, while a horizontal asymptote is a line that the graph approaches as x-values get infinitely large or small. A point/circular asymptote is a line or curve that the graph approaches infinitely, but in a circular or curved path.

3. What causes a point/circular asymptote to occur?

A point/circular asymptote occurs when there is a discontinuity or hole in the graph. This can happen when there is a removable discontinuity, such as a factor that cancels out in a rational function, or when there is a non-removable discontinuity, such as a vertical tangent or a vertical cusp.

4. How do you find the equations of point/circular asymptotes?

To find the equation of a point/circular asymptote, you can use the limit definition of an asymptote. This involves finding the limit of the function as x approaches a specific value, such as infinity or a specific x-value. This limit will give you the equation of the point/circular asymptote. You can also use algebraic methods, such as finding the horizontal or vertical asymptotes of the reciprocal function.

5. Can a function have more than one point/circular asymptote?

Yes, a function can have multiple point/circular asymptotes. This can occur when there are multiple discontinuities or holes in the graph, or when there are multiple vertical tangents or cusps. It is also possible for a function to have both point/circular asymptotes and vertical/horizontal asymptotes.