Can Arithmetic Alone Prove This Inequality?

• Thread starter NastyAccident
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, it was proven that the set of real numbers where x^2-2x-3 is less than 0 is equal to the set of real numbers where -1 is less than x is less than 3, using only arithmetic methods. The proof involved factoring the expression and finding the range of x where the product of (x-3) and (x+1) is negative, leading to the conclusion that both sets are equal.
NastyAccident

Homework Statement

(!) Assuming only arithmetic (not the quadratic formula or calculus), prove that
[tex]
\left\{x \in\Re: x^2-2x-3 < 0\right\} = \left\{x \in\Re: -1 < x < 3\right\}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
\left\{x \in\Re: x^2-2x-3 < 0\right\} = \left\{x \in\Re: -1 < x < 3\right\}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, new and trying to learn how exactly to do this to proper mathematical standards.

I think this will just be a simple plug'n'play:

Test case, 0 and 2 since using boundaries results in 0 < 0:
(0)^2-2(0)-3 < 0
-3 < 0
True

(2)^2-2(2)-3 < 0
4-4-3 < 0
-3 < 0
True

Thoughts? This seemed too easy but when I manipulated with adding and subtracting/multiplying I started to lose focus from the core inequality ie:

x^2-2x-3 < 0
x^2-2x < 3

-1 < x < 3
0 < x+1 < 3+1
0 < x^2+x < 4x

Et cetera...

NastyAccident

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a good start to factorise the expression.

Hint: x^2-2x-3 =(x-1)^2-4.

ehild

note: the quadratic formula is achieved through algebra alone. ;)

ehild said:
It is a good start to factorise the expression.

Hint: x^2-2x-3 =(x-1)^2-4.

ehild

Going your way:
x^2-2x+1-4 < 0
(x-1)^2-4<0
(x-1)^2<4

-1<x<3
0<x+1<4
x+1<(x-1)^2
x+1<x^2-2x+1
0<x^2-3x
0<x(x-3)
x=0 or x=3?

Somewhere near that?

NastyAccident said:
Going your way:
x^2-2x+1-4 < 0
(x-1)^2-4<0
(x-1)^2<4

-1<x<3

Was not that you wanted to arrive at?

It is not that what I meant by factorize, but it is correct up to here.

(x-1)^2-4 = (x-1)^2-2^2=((x-1)-2)((x-1)+2)=(x-3)(x+1)

You have to find the range of x where (x-3)(x+1)<0

The product of two numbers is negative if one of the factors is negative, the other is positive. As x+1>x-3, x-3<0 and x+1>0 that is equivalent to -1<x<3.

ehild

ehild said:
Was not that you wanted to arrive at?

It is not that what I meant by factorize, but it is correct up to here.

(x-1)^2-4 = (x-1)^2-2^2=((x-1)-2)((x-1)+2)=(x-3)(x+1)

You have to find the range of x where (x-3)(x+1)<0

The product of two numbers is negative if one of the factors is negative, the other is positive. As x+1>x-3, x-3<0 and x+1>0 that is equivalent to -1<x<3.

ehild

Okay, the way of factoring originally brought up confused me for a second since it appeared to be completing a square to a problem that could of already been factored.

After reading your original suggestion, I had the thought of breaking it down to (x-3)(x+1) >0. Though, after that I was unsure of where to go. And now, with the range comment I am a bit lost as to why you were able to move from (x-3)(x+1)>0 to x+1>x-3. Logically, it does hold since (0)+1>0-3 = 1>-3.

I guess, I'm just getting lost on the transition from (x-3)(x+1)>0 to x+1>x-3 to x-3<0 and x+1>0. In my mind, I see it as going with (x-3)>0 and (x+1) > 0 instead of the inequalities that you presented. If you could clarify that I would appreciate it.

NastyAccident

x+1 is always bigger than x-3, isn't it?

I did not say that (x-3)(x+1)>0. You have to find the values of x which make (x-3)(x+1)<0 true, that is the product of (x+1) and (x-3) is negative. That happens if one of the factors is negative, the other positive. As x+1>x-3, if x+1<0, x-3 is also negative and their product is positive. So x-3 has to be negative and x+1 positive:

x-3<0 --->x<3

and x+1>1 --->x>1

ehild

ehild said:
x+1 is always bigger than x-3, isn't it?

I did not say that (x-3)(x+1)>0. You have to find the values of x which make (x-3)(x+1)<0 true, that is the product of (x+1) and (x-3) is negative. That happens if one of the factors is negative, the other positive. As x+1>x-3, if x+1<0, x-3 is also negative and their product is positive. So x-3 has to be negative and x+1 positive:

x-3<0 --->x<3

and x+1>1 --->x>1

ehild

First, I apologize for the (x-3)(x+1)>0 statement. It should have been (x-3)(x+1) < 0. I hit the wrong key.

I now see and understand why the split is occurring like that since you are trying to find terms that create a negative which would yield something that is less than zero.

Now, this proves that set A (x^2-2x-3 < 0) is included in Set B (-1<x<3). In order to ensure that both are equal sets, I now have to repeat this process so that set B is included in Set A.

So, would it be fair to do the following:

-1<x<3
-1<x
x<3
0<x+1
x-3<0
(x+1)(x-3)<0
x^2-2x-3<0

Hence,
Set A = Set B

NastyAccident

Well done! ehild

Related to Can Arithmetic Alone Prove This Inequality?

1. How can arithmetic be used to prove something?

Arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of numbers and their operations. By using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, we can manipulate numbers and equations to prove a statement or theory.

2. Can arithmetic be used to prove complex theories or concepts?

Yes, arithmetic can be used to prove complex theories and concepts. It provides a solid foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and theories.

3. Are there any limitations to using arithmetic to prove something?

While arithmetic is a powerful tool for proving mathematical concepts, it does have its limitations. It cannot be used to prove concepts in other fields such as physics or biology.

4. How does arithmetic differ from other branches of mathematics when it comes to proving something?

Unlike other branches of mathematics, arithmetic deals with the basic operations of numbers and is considered the most fundamental branch. Therefore, it is often used as the starting point for proving more complex mathematical concepts.

5. Can anyone use arithmetic to prove something or does it require a certain level of expertise?

Anyone with a basic understanding of arithmetic can use it to prove simple concepts. However, for more complex theories and concepts, a deeper understanding of arithmetic and other branches of mathematics may be necessary.