Can anyone think of any examples of curves which are smooth but not analytic?

In summary: But, of course, there is no "official" definition of "smooth".In summary, The conversation discusses examples of smooth and analytic functions, as well as the difference between being smooth and being infinitely differentiable. The Koch curve is given as an example of a continuous curve that is not differentiable. The concept of piece-wise smooth curves is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a discussion on the definition of "smooth" and how it is often used in mathematics.
DeadWolfe
I know there are some, but I can't think of any examples.

I asked my teacher after class but she couldn't think of any either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define your terms!

The Koch curve is an example of a continuous curve but it is nowhere differentiable.

Tide said:
Define your terms!
Defining terms is good!
Here I hope there is not confunsion.
I assume what was meant is
Smooth: A function having derivatives of all orders in some region
ie on (a,b) f(x) exist and f'(x) and f''(x) and so on
Analytic: A function the equals its taylor expansion

The usual example given in introductory analysis texts of a smoth nonanalytic function is something like
f(x)=0 x<=0
f(x)=exp(-1/x) x>0
The taylor expansion about 0 is 0, but the function is not identicaly zero.

The Joys of Calc. 1

Sadly, at my school, this is covered in Calc III

A curve, or space-curve, is smooth everywhere if r'(t) does not equal the 0 vector anywhere on r's domain, and if r'(t) exists everywhere on r's domain.

As far as I remember, an example of the curve r(t) = <t,t^2> is not smooth at t = 0, but as far as I can tell from below, this curve is, infact, smooth at t = 0 because r'(t) exists there and is not 0.

r'(t) = <1,2t>

When t = 0, r'(t) = <1,0>.

Can anyone clarify this for me.

If I reparameterize the curve as follows, r(t) = <t^2 , t^4>, then the curve would not be smooth at t = 0 for the following reason:

r'(t) = <2t, 4t^3>

when t = 0 r'(t) = <0,0>, so the curve r(t) = r(t) = <t^2 , t^4> is not smooth at t = 0.

it is, however, piece-wise smooth, as piece-wise smooth curves are curves that have a finite number of smooth pieces. We never really covered, in detail, the formal definition of what an "analytic" function is, and I am currently in calculus IV, although I know from my own independent studies as well as my current extracurricular involvement in mathematical research.

Any thoughts.

Inquisitively,

Edwin

If by "smooth" you mean infinitely differentiable, the simplest example is

[tex]f(x)= e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}[/tex]
if x is not 0, f(0)= 0.

It's easy to show that all derivatives of f are of the form
[tex]P(x)e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}[/tex]
,where P(x) is a polynomial, for x not 0, 0 if x= 0 and so the nth derivative exists and is continuous for all n.

However, since the nth derivative of f at 0 is always 0, the Taylor's Polynomial about x= 0 is just the constant 0. That converges for all x, of course, but is not equal to f(x) for any x other than 0 so f is not analytic at x= 0.

Thank you Halls.

By the way, what other definition is there of smooth?

I have often seen "smooth" used to mean just differentiable. Often it is a matter of how "smooth" you want it- how many derivatives are necessary for whatever you are doing. I have even seen the phrase "If f(x) is sufficiently smooth..."!

Oh.

All the texts I have seen have said that smooth means infinitely differentiable.

Related to Can anyone think of any examples of curves which are smooth but not analytic?

1. What is the difference between smooth and analytic curves?

Smooth curves are continuous and have a defined slope at every point. They can be drawn without any breaks or sharp angles. On the other hand, analytic curves have a defined derivative at every point and can be expressed as a power series.

2. Can you give an example of a smooth but not analytic curve?

A common example is the absolute value function, y = |x|. It is continuous and has a defined slope at every point, but is not analytic because it is not differentiable at x = 0.

3. Are there any real-world applications of smooth but not analytic curves?

Yes, smooth curves are commonly used to model natural phenomena in physics and engineering. For example, the motion of a pendulum can be described by a smooth curve, even though it is not analytic due to the point where the pendulum stops and changes direction.

4. How can you determine if a curve is smooth but not analytic?

One way is to check if the curve has a continuous derivative at every point. If there are any breaks or sharp angles in the curve, it is not smooth. Another way is to try to express the curve as a power series. If it cannot be expressed in this form, it is not analytic.

5. Are there any advantages of using smooth but not analytic curves in mathematical modeling?

Yes, smooth curves allow for more flexibility and can better approximate real-world phenomena. They are also easier to work with mathematically compared to analytic curves, which require more complex calculations. However, analytic curves have the advantage of being able to provide exact solutions to certain problems.