Can anyone tell me if 2009 MS9 is prograde or retrograde?

• I
  • Thread starter Edward Barrow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Retrograde
In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a theory on the origin of extreme trans-neptunian objects and the question of whether 2009 MS9 is prograde or retrograde in its orbit. The conclusion is that 2009 MS9 has a prograde orbit with an inclination of 68.07923°, as found in the JPL Small-Body Database Browser. The source also confirms this information and thanks Glitch for clarifying.
Edward Barrow
I'm constructing a theory on the origin of extreme trans-neptunian objects.

Can anyone tell me if 2009 MS9 is prograde or retrograde in its orbit? (and show me where you found this information out). I can't for the life of me find it anywhere.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
2009 MS9 is prograde in its orbit. Inclinations greater than 90° describe retrograde orbits, thus, an inclination of between 0° and 90° means the orbiting body has a prograde orbit. 2009 MS9 has an inclination of 68.07923°.

Source: JPL Small-Body Database Browser - 418993 (2009 MS9)

Last edited:
Likes Edward Barrow
Big thanks Glitch! That makes things so much clearer.

Related to Can anyone tell me if 2009 MS9 is prograde or retrograde?

1. Is 2009 MS9 a planet?

No, 2009 MS9 is not a planet. It is a minor planet or asteroid.

2. What does it mean for a planet to be prograde or retrograde?

Prograde and retrograde refer to the direction of an object's orbit around a larger body. Prograde means the object orbits in the same direction as the body's rotation, while retrograde means the object orbits in the opposite direction.

3. How can I determine if 2009 MS9 is prograde or retrograde?

The best way to determine if 2009 MS9 is prograde or retrograde is to look at its orbital direction in relation to the direction of the Sun's rotation. If it is moving in the same direction, it is prograde. If it is moving in the opposite direction, it is retrograde.

4. What factors influence an object's orbit and determine if it is prograde or retrograde?

The main factor that determines the direction of an object's orbit is the initial angular momentum of the object when it formed. Other factors that can influence an object's orbit include gravitational interactions with other objects and collisions.

5. Are there any implications for an object being prograde or retrograde?

Yes, the direction of an object's orbit can have implications for its stability and potential for collisions with other objects. Objects with retrograde orbits are more likely to collide with other objects, while objects with prograde orbits are generally more stable.