Can anyone solve this riddle using programming softwares?

In summary: Results from analysis of Red/Black box riddle: No solutions exist!In summary, the computer science people have found no solution to the puzzle of connecting three black boxes with three red boxes without them interacting.
Basimalasi
Hello computer science people,

riddle me this... you have three black boxes and three red boxes. You want to connect each black box with the three red boxes without making the lines interact with each other. can you do it ? or is it unsolvable ?

Like this :

N1Se020.png

Technology news on Phys.org
I've seen this many times in the past. To the best of my recollection, it is unsolvable (in two dimensions).

Is this possible ? there is no cut.

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 467
Like this?

Attachments

• Connecting Boxes.jpg
    Connecting Boxes.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 451
skeptic2 said:
Like this?
I don't think this meets the requirements of a direct link between each red box with each black box, and vice versa. This might not have been stated in the OP but I believe that is what is implied.

Basimalasi said:
Hello computer science people,

riddle me this... you have three black boxes and three red boxes. You want to connect each black box with the three red boxes without making the lines interact with each other. can you do it ? or is it unsolvable ?
Why would you want to use software to solve this puzzle?

Mark44 said:

Try designing a complex multi-layer printed circuit board without using a computer track routing algorithm. :smile:

skeptic2 said:
Like this?

nope

Mark44 said:

because i think its unsolvable

solving this riddle is like guessing a 6-charechters password..you have to have an algorithm that will test all the possible paths the 9 arrows are going to take from the black boxes to the red boxes without interacting

Medicol said:
Is this possible ? there is no cut.

you can't make the lines go "through" the red boxes.

3 arrows from the first black box to all red boxes
3 arrows from the second black box to all red boxes
3 arrows from the third black box to all red boxes

without no interaction between the lines

Unless you use three dimensions - or the surface of a donut - it's easy to show that there is no solution.
Here is a link: http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.3utilities.html
Since it's not possible, there is no point is having a computer search for one.

I know this stupid of me and a waste of your time guys but I can't be satisfied without an algorithm that would test all the possibilities

Code:
while there_exist_more_possibilities(); do test_next_possibility();

I don't have much time to waste, so I am not going much deeper. That's your algorithm, just fill in details.

Basimalasi said:
I know this stupid of me and a waste of your time guys but I can't be satisfied without an algorithm that would test all the possibilities
I understand. You trust computers more than people.
Here's a more detailed algorithm. In fact, it's actual C code:
Code:
//  For an explanation of why this algorithm works, see:
//    http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.3utilities.html
#include <stdio.h>
void main(void) {
printf(“Results from analysis of Red/Black box riddle: No solutions exist!\n");
}
Try it out and let me know if it finds anything.

Likes 1 person

Related to Can anyone solve this riddle using programming softwares?

1. How can I use programming software to solve a riddle?

Programming software can be used to solve a riddle by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable tasks that can be solved using coding languages and logic. By writing a program, you can input the riddle and create a step-by-step solution that can be executed to find the answer.

2. Do I need to have coding experience to solve a riddle with programming software?

While having coding experience can be helpful, it is not necessary to solve a riddle using programming software. There are many resources and tutorials available online that can guide beginners through the process of solving a riddle using coding languages.

3. What programming languages are commonly used to solve riddles?

Some popular programming languages used to solve riddles include Python, Java, and C++. However, the language used may vary depending on the individual's preference and the specific requirements of the riddle.

4. Can programming software solve any type of riddle?

Programming software can be used to solve a wide range of riddles, but it may not be able to solve every single riddle. Some riddles may require logical thinking and problem-solving skills that cannot be easily translated into code.

5. Are there any limitations to using programming software to solve riddles?

While programming software can be a useful tool for solving riddles, there may be limitations depending on the complexity of the riddle and the individual's coding proficiency. It is important to remember that programming is just one approach to solving a riddle and there may be other strategies that can be equally effective.