Can anyone recommend a good book on Controls?

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation and makeup of control systems and the lack of resources that explain how to go from the Laplace domain to real-life applications. It is suggested to study samples based on Sequential Function Charts (SFC) to understand the process, but finding suitable references is challenging. The speaker also mentions their past experience with Control Descriptions and suggests reaching out to PLC companies for SFC documents.
cstoos
Not so much the math and theory of controls but the actual physical implementation and make up of control systems. Something that tells you how to go from the Laplace domain to real life.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The way I learned controls for industry applications was by studying samples based on Sequential Function Charts (SFC) per the IEC 1131-3 Standard.

Plug through some samples and you will get the hang of it.

Do you have any references that you recommend? I googled a few and most of it is "this is how you draw this process on a SFC" or "this is the logic to use when utilizing our software".

None of the ones that I have seen so far say "X component acts as a laplacian integrator" or "Analog feedback control is achieved by doing this."

I guess maybe I am searching for a simple answer when there isn't one, but all we learned in school about control systems is the math and not so much how to actually implement that system.

I was fortunate that I had acess to some Control Descriptions of equipment developed with SFC.

Maybe contact some PLC companies and see if they can recommend some SFC documents.

Related to Can anyone recommend a good book on Controls?

1. What is the best book for learning about controls?

The best book for learning about controls will depend on your specific field and level of expertise. Some popular options include "Modern Control Engineering" by Katsuhiko Ogata, "Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems" by Gene F. Franklin, and "Control Systems Engineering" by Norman S. Nise.

2. Are there any recommended books for beginners in controls?

Yes, there are several books that are geared towards beginners in controls. Some examples include "Introduction to Control System Technology" by Robert N. Bateson, "Fundamentals of Control Systems" by William J. Palm III, and "Control Systems: An Introduction" by Dumitru Popescu.

3. Is there a specific book that covers both classical and modern control techniques?

Yes, "Control Systems Engineering" by Norman S. Nise covers both classical and modern control techniques, making it a popular choice for those looking for a comprehensive overview of the subject.

4. Are there any good books on controls for self-study?

Yes, there are many good books on controls for self-study. "Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems" by Gene F. Franklin and "Control Systems Engineering" by Norman S. Nise both offer self-study resources such as practice problems and online resources.

5. Can you recommend a book that focuses on practical applications of controls?

Yes, "Practical PID Control" by Antonio Visioli is a highly recommended book for those interested in the practical application of controls. It covers topics such as tuning controllers, implementing control algorithms, and troubleshooting control systems.