Can anyone please tell me a book or any paper where I can find this

• Thread starter ani4physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Paper
In summary, it seems that the equation for power doesn't depend on the strength of the magnetic force.
ani4physics
Hello everyone. I have been looking for a book or any article where I can get a good description about classical theory of energy transfer from electromagnetic field to a particle. I am particularly interested in how much work is done by the field when it interacts with the partciel (for example, interaction of light with atom/molecule). I want to know if there is a force . displacement approach to calculate the energy transfer from field to partciel. Please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid that I know nothing about the subject. My first thought is to read any of Maxwell's papers, whether published or not.

You should post it on the book discussion sub forum here. This is not the right place.

This is simply the Newton's equations of motion with the Lorentz force acting on the particle(s): F= q(E+vxB) .
If a particle is at rest and interacts with an electromagnetic wave-packet, we can easily guess that it will be put into motion, meaning that it will have absorbed energy.

Of course the amount of energy absorbed depends on the precise shape of the wave packet.
We could easily imagine a wavepacket-game that would shake a particle for a while but in the end leave it at rest once the wavepacket has passed his way.
Oh well, is it actually possible to do that?

Actually, starting from this simple premise, may actually lead to interresting questions.
Really many.
From particle accelerators to the difficulties of classical physics applied to atoms, including any microwave devices, plasma physics, optics, ... , Landau damping, Kramer-Kronig relations, causality, ...

There are many books dealing wuth that topic, but as the subject can be very broad it is difficult to give a specific reference. You could look for electrodynamics on google books. If you have precise topics in mind, let us know. For the interaction with fully ionised classical plasmas, I could could provide maybe 10 famous references.

Last edited:
Work won't depend on magnetic force because of the cross product. Use the fore equation above to compute power delivered to particle.

[tex]P = F \cdot v = q(E + v\times B) \cdot v = q(E \cdot v + (v\times B) \cdot v)[/tex]

Since for any pair of vectors a and b

[tex](a\times b)\cdot a = 0[/tex]

The equation for power is just

[tex]P = q E\cdot v[/tex]

K^2 said:
Work won't depend on magnetic force because of the cross product. Use the fore equation above to compute power delivered to particle.

[tex]P = F \cdot v = q(E + v\times B) \cdot v = q(E \cdot v + (v\times B) \cdot v)[/tex]

Since for any pair of vectors a and b

[tex](a\times b)\cdot a = 0[/tex]

The equation for power is just

[tex]P = q E\cdot v[/tex]

Thanks a lot man. That really helped. Now, is there any way to apply that equation for energy transferred by field to a quantum particle? Can we use the force . displacement equation to get the work done on a quantum system?

Related to Can anyone please tell me a book or any paper where I can find this

1. Can you recommend a specific book or paper for my research topic?

There are many resources available for research topics, and the best one for you will depend on your specific research question. It is important to carefully evaluate sources and consider factors such as credibility, relevance, and currency. Some popular options for finding books and papers include online databases, academic journals, and university libraries. You can also consult with a librarian or your research advisor for personalized recommendations.

2. Where can I find scholarly articles or papers for my research?

Scholarly articles and papers can be found through a variety of sources, including online databases such as JSTOR, Google Scholar, and ProQuest. University libraries also offer access to many academic journals and databases. It is important to critically evaluate the sources you find to ensure they are credible and relevant to your research topic.

3. Is there a specific format or style I should follow when citing books or papers?

Yes, there are various citation styles used in academic writing, such as APA, MLA, and Chicago. It is important to follow the specific style required by your institution or discipline when citing books or papers in your research. Many online databases and citation generators can assist with formatting citations in the correct style.

4. How can I access books or papers that are not available online?

If the book or paper you need is not available online, you can try searching for it in a university library or requesting it through interlibrary loan. Many libraries also offer digital lending services, allowing you to access books and papers online. You can also contact the author directly to request a copy.

5. Are there any resources specifically for finding books or papers related to my research topic?

Yes, there are many resources available for finding books and papers related to specific research topics. Some examples include subject-specific databases, online forums and communities, and academic search engines. Additionally, many universities offer specialized library services for different disciplines, which can provide personalized assistance in finding relevant sources for your research.