Can anyone please check/verify this proof about rational numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses how sqrt(3), sqrt(5), sqrt(7), sqrt(24), and sqrt(31) are not rational numbers and can all be proven to be irrational in one fell swoop. The term "one fell swoop" means one proof to cover all cases. The conversation also mentions a link that could help but cannot be shared, and asks for a proof for sqrt(3) and if it can be generalized.
Math100
Homework Statement
None.
Relevant Equations
None.
Show sqrt(3), sqrt(5), sqrt(7), sqrt(24), and sqrt(31) are not rational numbers.

Attachments

• Proof (2).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 132
Likes THAUROS
Physics news on Phys.org
These can all be done in one fell swoop if you think about it.

Likes Math100
PeroK said:
These can all be done in one fell swoop if you think about it.
Can you please tell me what's that one fell swoop?

Math100 said:
Can you please tell me what's that one fell swoop?
It means one proof to cover all those cases.

Likes Math100
THAUROS said:
Hi, I wanted to share a link that I thought could help but I can't. Sorry!

PeroK said:
It means one proof to cover all those cases.
What proof should/do I need to apply for this problem?

Math100 said:
What proof should/do I need to apply for this problem?
What's your proof for ##\sqrt 3##? Can you generalise that?

@Math100 please post your proof and equations directly in the thread using the PF LaTeX feature, not as a PDF.

Related to Can anyone please check/verify this proof about rational numbers?

1. What is a rational number?

A rational number is a number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to zero. It can be written in the form of a/b, where a and b are integers.

2. How do you verify a proof about rational numbers?

To verify a proof about rational numbers, you need to carefully check each step of the proof and make sure it follows logical reasoning. You can also use examples or counterexamples to test the validity of the proof.

3. What are some common mistakes to look out for when checking a proof about rational numbers?

Some common mistakes to look out for when checking a proof about rational numbers include incorrect use of mathematical operations, incorrect assumptions or definitions, and incorrect application of mathematical laws or theorems.

4. Can a proof about rational numbers be proven wrong?

Yes, a proof about rational numbers can be proven wrong if it contains logical errors or incorrect assumptions. It is important to carefully check the proof and make sure it follows sound mathematical reasoning.

5. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for checking a proof about rational numbers?

Some techniques for checking a proof about rational numbers include breaking down the proof into smaller steps, using examples or counterexamples, and comparing it to known theorems or mathematical laws. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts and operations.