Can anyone help thermodynamics specific heat

In summary, the ratio of the specific heat CP/CV can be found by equating TDS equations 1 and 3 and solving for the ratio. However, the exact steps to get to the ratio are not provided in the conversation.
foranlogan2
Explaining your reasoning, show that the ratio of the specifc heat is

CP/CV = (DP/DV)s / (DP/DV)t

hint :use TDS EQUATIONS

I have used tds equation 3 and tds equation 1 and equated them,but i am stuck because i get to an equation like

(CP/CV-1)(DT/DV)p = T(DP/DT)v and just do not know how to get to the ratio

how i used the wrong equations or is it my maths skills,please help:bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't know what these equations are. What are TDS equations 1 and 3.

CVDT + T(DP/DT)vDV = TDS 1

CPDT - T(DV/DT)pDP = TDS 2

CV(DT/DP)vDP + CP(DT/DV)pDV = TDS 3

Related to Can anyone help thermodynamics specific heat

1. What is specific heat in thermodynamics?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance by one degree.

2. Why is specific heat important in thermodynamics?

Specific heat is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature. It also plays a crucial role in calculating the amount of energy needed for temperature changes in thermodynamic processes.

3. How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is typically measured using experiments where a known amount of heat is applied to a substance and the resulting change in temperature is recorded. The specific heat is then calculated using the formula Q/mΔT, where Q is the heat added, m is the mass of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What factors affect the specific heat of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance is affected by its chemical composition, physical state, and temperature. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces tend to have higher specific heats, while substances with weaker intermolecular forces have lower specific heats. Additionally, substances in a solid state typically have lower specific heats compared to those in a liquid or gas state.

5. How does specific heat differ from heat capacity?

Specific heat refers to the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a unit mass of a substance by one degree, while heat capacity refers to the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a specific object or system by one degree. Heat capacity takes into account the mass of the object, while specific heat is a property of the substance itself.