Can anyone guide me for this? thank you in advance

• Thread starter Unusualskill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thank you
In summary, there is a point c in the real line that is an element of the domain of the function f, and which is such that the function is continuous at c.
Unusualskill
Let f be the function:
f(x) =
sin(x) ; x is element of Q
cos(x) ; x is not element of Q
Prove, using epsilon-delta definition, that there is a point c,which is element of R at which f is continuous.
Hint: Consider c such that sin(c) = cos(c); why does such a c exist? Then,
since you know that sin(x) and cos(x) are continuous at c, for epsilon> 0, you get delta1 >
0 that gives lsin(x)-sin(c)l <epsilon , and also delta2 > 0 that gives lcos(x)-cos(c)l <epsilon .
Now, why does delta = min(delta1; delta2) work to show lf(x)- f(c)l < epsilon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since at each x one of the deltas work then the smaller works for all.

mathman said:
Since at each x one of the deltas work then the smaller works for all.
But how to find that c such that sin(c)=cos(c)?

Hint: sin(c) = tan(c)cos(c), and tan is surjective.

Alternatively, consider that the graphs of sin and cos intersect.

In the further alternative (not really necessary since either of the above two are sufficient to conclude that such a [itex]c[/itex] exists and you don't actually need to find an exact value for it), consider the triangle formed by cutting a unit square along a diagonal.

Really, between the hint provided in the question and mathman's response you now have a complete answer to the analysis part of the question. The incidental trigonometry should have been obvious; you should be thoroughly familiar with the basic properties (geometric definitions, graphs, special values) of the trigonometric functions before studying calculus or real analysis.

Last edited:
Equivalently, sin(c)= cos(c) is the same as saying tan(c)= 1. You should be able to solve that!

HallsofIvy said:
Equivalently, sin(c)= cos(c) is the same as saying tan(c)= 1. You should be able to solve that!
Erm, what i don understand is that why i have to find such c? n why sin x and cos x will be continuous at that c?eg 45 degree?

You will understand that when you do the final step of the proof that was sketched in the problem statement.

Related to Can anyone guide me for this? thank you in advance

1. How do I know if I need guidance for a particular task or project?

If you feel unsure or confused about the specific steps or procedures involved in completing a task or project, it is a good sign that you could benefit from guidance. Additionally, if you are new to the field or topic, seeking guidance can help you gain a better understanding and improve your overall performance.

2. What are some common sources of guidance?

There are many potential sources of guidance, including mentors, colleagues, instructional materials, and online resources. It is important to consider your specific needs and the expertise of the source before seeking guidance.

3. How can I effectively communicate my need for guidance?

Be clear and specific about what you need guidance on. Provide as much information as possible and be willing to ask questions and listen to feedback. It is also important to be open to suggestions and different perspectives.

4. What should I do if I cannot find anyone to guide me?

If you are unable to find someone who is able to provide guidance, consider seeking out online resources, instructional materials, or joining a relevant community or forum where you can ask questions and receive feedback from others with experience in the field.

5. How can I show my appreciation for someone who has provided guidance?

Expressing gratitude and acknowledging their help can go a long way in showing your appreciation. You can also offer to return the favor by providing guidance to others in the future or recommending them to others who may benefit from their guidance.