Can an EET Degree Secure a Design Engineering Job?

In summary, Warren's experience has shown that having an EET degree does not automatically disqualify you from a career in design engineering. However, if you want to pursue a career in design engineering, you should consider obtaining an MSEE. Additionally, you should not be discouraged if you do not stay in a "engineering role" after completing your undergraduate degree.
ENGRedcupcake
...I just want to know. is it possible for me to even get a job as some sort of engineering position outside of the South? Don't get me wrong I like georgia ok. and I love north carolina to death but y'know change needs to come. Everybody keeps telling me that having an eet degree won't hinder me much but I"m starting to think that's crap and employers only want 'real' engineering students. I mean here in ga. EET degree holders can take the FET. but I think georgia is the only state you can do that in. I'm graduating next may and I'm trying to do everything to augment my EET degree, I took calc 3 even though it wasn't required and I have a minor in computer science. I'm a double major but my other major is entirely unrelated (graphic design) so I don't think it'll do me much good. I'm just worried that I'm going to have to live the rest of my life in my home region until I can get a real engineering degree which I do want, I'm thinking one day of going back for mechanical since I'm starting to love it. but rite now like many senior eet students I'm just needing a break from school and some real life work. I'm looking project design, circuit design, design engineering, etc. since that was my strongest point in school.

enough with the blabbering, so what can you tell me? Do I have a chance at a top industry design engineering job. Or am I doomed to live in georgia in some factory till i can a BS in ME?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost no one gets hired into design jobs immediately after undergraduate school. You'll have to work a few years to get into any position of serious responsibility at any major company. Your EET degree will be a handicap compared to other students with full-fledged engineering degrees, but you might be able to catch up and be doing similar kinds of work after, say, five years of experience in other positions.

- Warren

Thanks for that, I know my EET degree is going to be a handicap but it's nice to know I've got a chance.

ENGRedcupcake said:
Thanks for that, I know my EET degree is going to be a handicap but it's nice to know I've got a chance.

You have a chance. There are brilliant engineers who got their only formal training from the Navy. There are brilliant engineers who never attended university at all, but worked their butts off through a long chain of promotions to finally become rather powerful people.

Work ethic and determination are, on the whole, probably more important than education.

- Warren

I have been an ET/EET for the last 10 years, from my experience - it depends on the company. I have worked in NY and currently PA, the jobs I have held range from Security (First, and best), Telecom and Lighting Controls.

Salary, I have never had a reason to complain, but if you are truly into design consider getting your MSEE. Lastly, realize that good Engineers/Technicians rarely stay in the "engineering roles" we imagined when we choose and started our careers.

Related to Can an EET Degree Secure a Design Engineering Job?

1. Can I get a design engineering job with an EET degree?

Yes, it is possible to secure a design engineering job with an EET degree. While many design engineering positions require a degree in engineering, an EET degree can also provide the necessary skills and knowledge for this type of job.

2. What skills does an EET degree offer for design engineering?

An EET degree offers a combination of technical and practical skills that are valuable for design engineering. These include knowledge of electrical and electronic systems, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, and the ability to troubleshoot and solve technical problems.

3. Are there specific industries that value an EET degree for design engineering jobs?

Yes, industries such as telecommunications, manufacturing, and aerospace often seek candidates with an EET degree for design engineering positions. These industries require individuals with a strong understanding of electrical and electronic systems, making an EET degree a valuable qualification.

4. Can I advance in my career as a design engineer with an EET degree?

Yes, an EET degree can serve as a starting point for a successful career in design engineering. With experience and further education, such as a master's degree in engineering, an individual with an EET degree can advance to higher-level design engineering roles or other related positions.

5. What job titles can I expect with an EET degree in design engineering?

Some common job titles for individuals with an EET degree in design engineering include electrical design engineer, electronics engineer, electrical systems engineer, and electrical hardware engineer. However, the specific job titles may vary depending on the industry and company.