Can All Elements of SL(2) Be Expressed as a Single Exponential?

In summary, the homework statement is trying to prove that in SL(2) group the matrix ##\begin{pmatrix} -1 & \lambda \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} ## can not be presented as a single exponentail but instead as product of two exponentials of ##sl(2)## algebra.
LayMuon

Homework Statement

Prove that in SL(2) group the matrix ## \begin{pmatrix} -1 & \lambda \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} ## can not be presented as a single exponentail but instead as product of two exponentials of ##sl(2)## algebra. ##\lambda \in \mathbb{R} ##

Homework Equations

I don't understand how an element of Lie group cannot be presented by a single exponential. Does this mean that SL(2) is not a Lie group? or a Lie group that has some elements that cannot be cast into exponential form? So Lie group with no exponential form for some elements?

The Attempt at a Solution

stuck with definitions.

Physics news on Phys.org
The elements of a Lie group that can be written as ## \exp(\alpha^a t_a)##, where ##t_a## are generators of the Lie algebra and ##\alpha^a## are some parameters, are said to be the "identity component" of the Lie group, or sometimes "connected component" (meaning component connected to the identity). This is because we smoothly recover the identity element (##\mathbb{1}##) as we take the ##\alpha^a \rightarrow 0 ##. We can think of this adjustment of parameters as defining a path in the Lie group viewed as a topological space. Sometimes we can connect all elements of the group to the identity in this way, in which case the group is called connected. Often, however, the group is composed of disconnected components.

SL(2) is an example of a Lie group that is not connected as a topological space. The element you write down is one that is not connected to the identity element by a smooth deformation of the parameter ##\lambda##.

Last edited:
fzero said:
SL(2) is an example of a Lie group that is not simply connected as a topological space. The element you write down is one that is not connected to the identity element by a smooth deformation of the parameter ##\lambda##.

It is certainly not simply connected, but I think you mean just connected in this case. Simple connectivity is unrelated to surjectivity of the exponential.

Kreizhn said:
It is certainly not simply connected, but I think you mean just connected in this case. Simple connectivity is unrelated to surjectivity of the exponential.

Yes, I didn't mean simply connected. Thanks.

What does concern me is that this matrix can be presented as product of two exponentials and then with Campbell-Hausdorff relation merged into one, the commutators should yield something because Lie algebra is closed, so we would get one exponential.

Does this mean that the series of commutators does not converge or what? It seems to be a paradox, I am missing something here apparently.

LayMuon said:
What does concern me is that this matrix can be presented as product of two exponentials and then with Campbell-Hausdorff relation merged into one, the commutators should yield something because Lie algebra is closed, so we would get one exponential.

Does this mean that the series of commutators does not converge or what? It seems to be a paradox, I am missing something here apparently.

You can write the matrix down in the form ##e^X e^Y## with ##Y## in the Lie algebra sl(2), but ##X## is not in the Lie algebra. I could probably be more specific if you wrote down the expression yourself. But you should try to convince yourself of my claim in the meantime.

There is also some subtlety in the convergence of the BCH formula. It does not generally converge on a global scale. A quick glance at this paper should hopefully convince you of that.

I believe BCH always converges in connected, simply connected groups, though that does not apply in this case.

Related to Can All Elements of SL(2) Be Expressed as a Single Exponential?

What is a Lie group?

A Lie group is a mathematical concept that combines the properties of a group and a smooth manifold. It is a group that is also a differentiable manifold, meaning that it has both algebraic and geometric structure.

What is the SL(2) group?

The SL(2) group, also known as the special linear group of degree 2, is a specific type of Lie group that consists of 2x2 matrices with a determinant of 1. It is often used in physics and geometry to describe symmetries and transformations.

What makes the SL(2) group a Lie group?

The SL(2) group is a Lie group because it satisfies the requirements of being a group and a differentiable manifold. It has a smooth structure that allows for the application of calculus and other mathematical tools.

What are the applications of the SL(2) group?

The SL(2) group has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to describe symmetries and transformations in geometry, as well as in quantum mechanics and general relativity. It also has applications in signal processing and control theory.

How is the SL(2) group related to other Lie groups?

The SL(2) group is a special case of the general linear group, GL(n), which consists of all nxn invertible matrices. It is also related to other special linear groups, such as SL(n) and SL(3), which have similar properties but with different dimensions.